none
Setting Up RBS for Project Center 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking to implement RBS for Project Center 2013. Do any of you have any recommendations for setting up RBS (Role Based Security) for Project Center and SharePoint?

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

Thursday, January 21, 2016 7:51 PM

Answers

• Hi Ron,

RBS is actually Resource Breakdown Structure which applies to the entire Project structure, not just project center. It is a corner stone of the Project Server security model to configure access rights based on the organisation.

I would suggest to have a look to some article over internet and come back with some specific concern.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

http://www.applepark.co.uk/project-server-security-explained/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:08 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hey Ron,

Think of an RBS as an organizational chart.  For example, you can create a hierarchy of execs, directors, managers, and front line users.  Each of these hierarchy levels can a different security level.  This is an extremely simplified utilization of the RBS.  If you experience a lot of turnover in your organization you might want to avoid using an RBS.  Keeping it up-to-date can be a bear if resources change functional positions often.

Guillaume included some really good links.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Project

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:07 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Oops...I knew that...I was working on Role Based Security that day so I had a typo. I will check out the links. Thanks again!

Ron Johnson Systems Administrator Michigan State University Federal Credit Union Office – (517) 333-2391 ron.johnson@msufcu.org WWW.MSUFCU.ORG

Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:04 PM
  • Thanks Jim I will keep that in mind.

All replies

• Hi Ron,

RBS is actually Resource Breakdown Structure which applies to the entire Project structure, not just project center. It is a corner stone of the Project Server security model to configure access rights based on the organisation.

I would suggest to have a look to some article over internet and come back with some specific concern.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197354.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

http://www.applepark.co.uk/project-server-security-explained/

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

• Marked as answer by RonJohnMSU Tuesday, February 9, 2016 7:08 PM
    Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:13 PM
  • Hey Ron,

Think of an RBS as an organizational chart.  For example, you can create a hierarchy of execs, directors, managers, and front line users.  Each of these hierarchy levels can a different security level.  This is an extremely simplified utilization of the RBS.  If you experience a lot of turnover in your organization you might want to avoid using an RBS.  Keeping it up-to-date can be a bear if resources change functional positions often.

Guillaume included some really good links.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Project

Thursday, January 21, 2016 10:35 PM
  • Oops...I knew that...I was working on Role Based Security that day so I had a typo. I will check out the links. Thanks again!

• Thanks Jim I will keep that in mind.