none
Man Power Configuration RRS feed

• Question

• We are a contractor. I am looking for a way to track the number of technicians we need to employ for our projects an backlog. For example,, if wee have 4 jobs that need to be done in May, I am looking to enter the amount of hours and the schedule for each job and MS project can tell me the manpower needed to complete all the projects on time. Is the a template such as a manpower configuration tool.   
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 2:39 AM

All replies

• mmeilahn,

Yes, from a "warm body" standpoint you can configure Project to tell you how many resources are needed to complete each job. In the following example, a custom field is renamed as "Res Loading" (Number1) with the formula shown

However, you could do the same thing just as easily in Excel.

However, if you're looking for Project to take your labor disciplines (e.g. plumber, electrician, etc.) along with their skill level (e.g. journeyman, apprentice, etc.) and somehow automatically assign them to each job such that the job will be completed on schedule, then I'm afraid Project won't do that for you. Matter-of-fact, it will not automatically assign "ward body" resources to tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, April 11, 2019 4:57 PM
  • Do not start with the work (hours). Instead, start with an estimate of the duration, then assign whoever and as many people to it as you think it will take. These are your inputs. The work is the output. So is the cost. If the work is higher or lower than you expect, then adjust the duration or the assignment units or both until you have what you need.
    Thursday, April 11, 2019 11:03 PM