Domain user with Local Admin access RRS feed

• Question

• Im sure that this has been brought up before but I  have been unsucessful in finding an answer to my problem.

Basically what i want to do is the following.

We have users with Laptops with Vista pro. As of right now the users cannot change the time, or add printers or install a program, due to the security (denied permission).

Only when the logged in as the local admin can the work be done, but in the environment it is impossible for this to happen.

What we want to have is what XP offered, we add the domain user to the local admin account and they get full access, ( we did this allready and doesnt solve the problem), what can be done? Do i have to downgrade the laptop to XP?

Wayne
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:52 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I have tested adding domain users to the local administrator group and it has worked both on Vista Bussines and Vista Ultimate. How are you adding the users to the local administrators group? Needless to say, the users should be login in with their domain accounts, not the local accounts.

Victor Constantinescu - MVP Security, MCTS
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I have tested adding domain users to the local administrator group and it has worked both on Vista Bussines and Vista Ultimate. How are you adding the users to the local administrators group? Needless to say, the users should be login in with their domain accounts, not the local accounts.

Victor Constantinescu - MVP Security, MCTS
    Tuesday, January 6, 2009 5:34 PM
  • I am experiencing the same issue; I can successfully add a domain user to the local administrators group--however the user does not have administrator priviledges.  The user is unable to alter system settings--even if the admin tools are launched with administrative priveledges.  The only workaround so far is to switch back to the local admin account to perform the necessary tasks--which is a large annoyance.
    Monday, April 27, 2009 4:46 PM