Best method for BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service) deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

What is the best method for BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service) deployment for over 2000+ Windows 2008 servers at once? Also, does it matter on Windows 2008\2008 R2\2012 if the SCCM agent is installed before we deploy BITS to the servers?

Thanks,

Eric

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

What is the best method for BITS(Background Intelligent Transfer Service) deployment for over 2000+ Windows 2008 servers at once? Also, does it matter on Windows 2008\2008 R2\2012 if the SCCM agent is installed before we deploy BITS to the servers?

Thanks,

Eric

What do you mean by Deploy BITS to the servers? The BITS client should already be installed on then as it is native to the OS.

Garth Jones | My blogs: Enhansoft and Old Blog site | Twitter: @GarthMJ

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:20 PM
  • And BITS is a requirement of the Configuration Manager client, so should also be there before the ConfigMgr client gets installed.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Which one is a requirement for software update deployment with SCCM 2012 R2?

BITS client is all you need.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:45 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks,

Eric

What do you mean by Deploy BITS to the servers? The BITS client should already be installed on then as it is native to the OS.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:20 PM
  • And BITS is a requirement of the Configuration Manager client, so should also be there before the ConfigMgr client gets installed.

Wally Mead

Tuesday, September 30, 2014 8:26 PM
  • Correct me if i am wrong, but the BITS service is a feature that is not added by default? When I bring up the "Add Features Wizard", Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS) and non of the sub components are enabled.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:11 PM
  • Correct me if i am wrong, but the BITS service is a feature that is not added by default? When I bring up the "Add Features Wizard", Background Intelligent Transfer Service(BITS) and non of the sub components are enabled.

You are both right and wrong, the BITS client is installed by default. The BITS service is NOT installed by default. So Which are you looking to install the client or the service?

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:23 PM

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:45 PM
  • BITS is part of the OS; you don't have to install anything manually.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 2:57 PM
  • As Garth said, the client is installed, but not the service by default.
    Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:16 PM
  • Yes ... and the BITS client (which is already part of the OS) is sufficient.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:26 PM
  • So are you saying that the BITS client is sufficient for software update deployment with SCCM 2012 R2?

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:44 PM

BITS client is all you need.

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 3:45 PM
  • Great! That is the answer I was hoping to hear. Thxs!

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 4:17 PM
  • Yu should only have to deal with BITS deployment on a site system, such as the MP, and not clients.

If you are good, then please do mark the thread as answered so that we all know. Thanks.

Wally Mead

Wednesday, October 1, 2014 6:38 PM