none
Exchange 2010 SMTP service not ready. error 421. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a SBS server and exchange running, using telnet or MXLogic connector I cannot access the server using any port, 25 or 587.

Error is SMTP 220 service not ready, error 421

All connectors are configured correctly and services are running.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 1:37 PM

Answers

• To determine whether the issue is with the server configuration or the connection to the server, try running :

netstat -o

at a command line. That will display a list of all the TCP ports on which the server is listening, which should obviously include 25 and 587. If you don't see any entries for "<server IP>:25" in the list then that would indicate that the server isn't actually listening on that port. If there is an entry, then check the PID column and check that the process ID does indeed correspond to Exchange Server. Also check that the IP address that is listening is the same IP as the one you're trying to connect to.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Error 421 means the service is not available and the connection will be closed.

I recommend you follow Keith's suggestion, check if port 25/587 is opened.

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:35 AM

All replies

• To determine whether the issue is with the server configuration or the connection to the server, try running :

netstat -o

at a command line. That will display a list of all the TCP ports on which the server is listening, which should obviously include 25 and 587. If you don't see any entries for "<server IP>:25" in the list then that would indicate that the server isn't actually listening on that port. If there is an entry, then check the PID column and check that the process ID does indeed correspond to Exchange Server. Also check that the IP address that is listening is the same IP as the one you're trying to connect to.

Saturday, April 19, 2014 2:45 PM
  • Hi,

Error 421 means the service is not available and the connection will be closed.

I recommend you follow Keith's suggestion, check if port 25/587 is opened.

Thanks.

Niko Cheng
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, April 21, 2014 8:35 AM