Switch to new ADFS SQL database instance RRS feed

• Question

• So we're trying to attempt to downgrade our SQL license from SQL Enterprise to SQL Standard. 

I had previously asked on what changes, if any, had to be made to the ADFS side of things. We had issues backing up the previous DB and restoring it however.

So our DBA suggested to set up both SQL Enterprise and Standard on the DB server and cutting over ADFS to point to the new DB instance (under SQL Standard). But I'm not entirely sure of the properly protocol for getting this done. 

I found the following guide:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/948.ad-fs-2-0-migrate-your-ad-fs-configuration-database-to-sql-server.aspx

I'm looking at Step 3, part #7:

Add-pssnapin microsoft.adfs.powershell
    Set-adfsproperties –artifactdbconnection “data source=<SQLServer\SQLInstance>; initial catalog=adfsartifactstore;integrated security=true”

I'm assuming that since we have both SQL Enterprise and SQL Standard running on the same server, and that the "new" SQL Standard install has it's own new instance, that I would just need to follow the two commands in part #7 and be OK. 

Seems like it should be more complex than that however. Again, still pretty new at this and want to make sure that this makes sense. 

Thanks for any type of insight on this subject. I know it's kind of an odd approach. 

Saturday, June 16, 2018 5:21 PM

All replies

• If you are using ADFS on Windows Server 2012 R2 or higher, you can use ADFS rapid restore to backup your prod and restore it on another DB.

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, June 17, 2018 8:41 PM
  • Thanks for the follow up! No, unfortunately we're still on 2008r2 (we will get there eventually). 

So I'm assuming my plan makes sense?

I'm not very well versed with databases, but it seems to make sense to just be able to point to the same SQL server just a different DB instance. I'm assuming the artifact store and configuration DBs will just rebuild themselves once the instance is switched over on the ADFS application server?

Monday, June 18, 2018 1:44 PM