none
WIN7 deployment using MDT 2012 on HP 840 G1 RAID errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all hope you can help

I am unable to install win7 using MDT 2012 on hp 840g1 laptop, the intel raid system is causing the format disk0 or 1 stage to fail as it cant see 1 physical drive.

we have all the correct drivers ready to inject

we have disabled/enabled ACAH

removed SSD chip

has anyone else come across this

thanks in advance

Neal

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:13 PM

All replies

• Which method are you using to inject drivers?

http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/325/MDT-2013-Lite-Touch-Driver-Management

Do you have a copy of your BDD.log file you can post. It'll be easy to find out if the drivers were injected or not, looking at the log.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:59 PM
  • here is log file thanks

Neal

• Edited by Nelkz Friday, May 29, 2015 4:25 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2015 4:15 PM
  • It never injects drivers. Also go ahead and remove your log file. You have your Product Key listed in customsettings and it's in the log.

################################################ ZTIDiskpart 5/29/2015 11:42:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    ## Disk(0) was not found. Unable to continue. ZTIDiskpart 5/29/2015 11:42:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    ## Possible Cause: Missing Storage Driver. ZTIDiskpart 5/29/2015 11:42:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    ################################################ ZTIDiskpart 5/29/2015 11:42:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    FAILURE ( 7711 ): Disk OSDDiskIndex(0) can not be found! ZTIDiskpart 5/29/2015 11:42:46 AM 0 (0x0000)

Friday, May 29, 2015 4:24 PM
  • it cant find the disk Disk(0) was not found. Unable to continue.

its the raid settings causing the problem I think,

p.s. thanks for the note about serial oops
    • Edited by Nelkz Friday, May 29, 2015 4:28 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Did you add the PE drivers to the Out-of-Box Drivers? Also you didn't mention what your driver management method is. According to the logs your laptop is running on battery. It's not a good idea to deploy your OS unless connected to an AC outlet.

The very beginning of your log has this:

ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives (False) LiteTouch 5/29/2015 11:41:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    ZTIUtility!GetAllFixedDrives =  LiteTouch 5/29/2015 11:41:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    No task sequence is in progress. LiteTouch 5/29/2015 11:41:46 AM 0 (0x0000)
    Did not find disk. LiteTouch 5/29/2015 11:41:46 AM 0 (0x0000)

Using AHCI or RAID doesn't matter so long as the right drivers are there for it to have storage support.

Friday, May 29, 2015 5:44 PM
  • It's strange though as its failing at the format stage, why would you inject drivers and them wipe them during format?

I am new to mdt? so not sure about driver management.

it was on battery so i could get the bdd log, as I had packed them away, took it out quickly to get the info  

I have a screen grab i will post when i can

• Edited by Nelkz Monday, June 1, 2015 11:21 AM
    Monday, June 1, 2015 9:34 AM
  • The PE drivers aren't the ones that are injected, they are a part of the PE boot image which lets Windows PE talk to the hardware, like a storage controller for example. The drivers that are injected after the drive is formatted are the PnP drivers that Windows will use for the OS.

Monday, June 1, 2015 1:30 PM
  • That makes sense, the PE driver allows the winpe os  to access hardware to configure it.

so how do i get those drivers in the pe boot image? 

thanks for your help

Neal

Monday, June 1, 2015 1:44 PM
  • Easy that answer is in the post on Deployment Research. You can create a PE selection profile after you add your PE drivers, just don't forget to update your deployment share so it can generate a new boot image.

Now the harder part is what drivers do you need. Dell makes it easy because the have PE driver pack. You could try using that and see if it'll work with your HP systems or you could manually add the drivers you will need. The drivers that are a must for PE will be storage, Ethernet and likely USB 3.

Monday, June 1, 2015 1:57 PM
  • ok so we managed to go through the format stage, but it always wants to install os on the SSD not the main HDD, how can i tell it see the disk 0 hdd and disk 1 as SSD.

thanks so much for your help i'm am making progress :)

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:06 AM
  • If you go into the BIOS, what's drive order? Is the SDD physically connected to port 0?

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 1:05 PM
  • we have these boot options

options

RAID

USBHDD / USB KEY

Etherent

Within the bios we have these options

Legacy

UEFI hybrid

UEFI native

we are using legacy boot order

notebook HDD

M2SSD (chip)

USB etc

please see latest bdd log from a new laptop (not the same as previous bdd / laptop)

INfo

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 12:04 PM
  • That last log appears to just have a single 500GB drive and everything goes well until STATERESTORE. Try this and let me know if it helps. When you first boot to your MDT media and see the wizard go ahead and remove the drive. It seems like it might be rebooting to the MDT media. You could also try setting USB to the end of the boot order.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:21 PM
  • Other possibility, do you have any policies on the domain that might cause an unexpected reboot? I know we once had a situation where my coworker was using abman to push firefox anytime a client started up. It was causing apps to fail to install in MDT after the abman client was installed. I not only had him stop doing that but I also moved the abman client installation to the end to avoid that situation again.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:31 PM
  • after the staterestore occurs we get BSOD.

it sees the single 500gb HDD but there is also a 32gb ssd chip.

we use KACE as a deployment tool, but the agent is one of the last applications to be installed . the agent must report in to the server before any updates are pushed, plus the updates are scheduled for weekend only? its strange as all other builds are fine its just this machine that gets upset.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:37 PM
  • Hi,

just deployed W7 64 on EliteBook 840 G2.

I had 2 issues from the beginning:

1. no network driver after loading boot image.

Solved by importing NET driver into Out of Box. I use selection profile for filtering out WinPE image from other drivers

2. After deployment I had 2 unidentified drivers. There were Proximity... thing

I used SCCM Driver Pack. It didnt contain Proximity. Was tricky to find...

If you will overcome your problem and will need just this last, let me know...

Boot image is Virgin... I injected just one net driver.

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:41 PM
  • Tell you what, to determine if it's a domain policy that causing it, try specifying a workgroup instead of the domain and see if it BSODs at the same spot. It might not be seeing the 32GB drive at the beginning because PE doesn't have the driver that drive needs.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:42 PM
  • That last log appears to just have a single 500GB drive and everything goes well until STATERESTORE. Try this and let me know if it helps. When you first boot to your MDT media and see the wizard go ahead and remove the drive. It seems like it might be rebooting to the MDT media. You could also try setting USB to the end of the boot order.

can you clarify the above note please?

what drive are we removing? the actual HDD or the x mapped drive?

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 1:51 PM
  • Are you booting from a USB flash drive?

Looking at the log it doesn't appear that you are using WDS and it looks like you're deploying over the network.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:03 PM
  • ok so we are using

mdt 2010

pxe boot to mdt server

winpe / lightouch os

the we go through wizard , choose apps then of it goes based on our task sequence.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:21 PM
  • I just wanted to make sure that whatever you're booting into MDT from is lower in the boot order than your hard drive. Really this doesn't seem to be the issue because you said you were getting a BSOD.

So try deploying without joining the domain (in case a group policy is adding something) and if it still fails it could be a driver issue as they usually lead to BSOD. Since pob579 has actually deployed the same hardware maybe he might have some ideas. I've never deployed to that laptop so I'm just speculating.

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 3:32 PM
  • I read the initial question...

Sorry, but could not really understand on what step you have a failure, the thread became a bit long...

So, if you don't mind to answer couple of my questions (even they are trivial), may be I can provide some useful tips...

1. does F12 from laptop provides a boot image name?

2. if yes, are you able to see TaskSequences in the Light Touch Wizard?

IF NOT: the problem is in WinPE

3. if 2 = YES can you start the task and does the deployment come to 100% and computer restarts.

Or it fails after first reboot?

--- When you hit a wrong note its the next note that makes it good or bad. --- Miles Davis

• Edited by pob579 Thursday, June 4, 2015 12:02 AM
    Wednesday, June 3, 2015 9:37 PM
  • OK...

Let's assume that the answer for the question 3 is: the computer fails on first reboot after image successfully pushed...

I am 99% sure that the problem is in your captured image.

I had the similar issue with Lenovo x220...

The problem is in a conflict between the driver in the image and your OoBox.

If you use the image captured from perfectly installed and running 840 for a deployment through MDT this is most likely the core of the problem.

Capture clean machine (no other than NET driver installed). The best take a VM.

Drop all drivers for your 840 to OUT of BOX from the SCCM driver pack for 840 G1.

HERE:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_Driverpack_Matrix_x64.html

Create the TS using clean captured OS (not 840 image).

It will fix your problem instantly.

Thursday, June 4, 2015 1:29 AM