none
Projects 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. Quick question that I'm sure you probably get all the time in one form or another. I've worked as a Master Scheduler for a company for almost 6 years now. We've experienced a lot of growth and our system is mostly manually managed across the board. I use projects to input and update multiple projects, with resources linked to all, and  managed them all in one file, from planned orders, point of sale, engineering, design, materials, production, and shipment. We currently have on average about 50 projects at any given time. With the recent growth, we've hired a production scheduler to help me out. Now to the heart of the question at hand, how can we both access, edit, and save to the same file, at the same time?
    Monday, April 28, 2014 3:57 PM

All replies

• BrentHdsh --

The answer is that two or more users CANNOT open and edit a Microsoft Project 2013 file simultaneously.  So, you will need to ditch that idea quickly.

The mistake you have made, in my opinion, is placing all 50 projects into a single Microsoft Project MPP file.  What I recommend you do is to break up those 50 projects into individual MPP files.  This way, you and the new scheduler can work independently on individual projects without tripping over one another.  When you need to see ALL of the projects together in one file, you can create a temporary (or permanent) master project consisting of each project as a subproject.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:05 PM
  • Dale, first I'd like to say thank you for your quick reply. I'm not sure if this can be done independently as you suggest without us changing our entire way of scheduling and capacity management. We currently have all the projects in one file as a master project, with each project listed as a subproject. It was previously created this way in order to manage our overall resources and shop capacity. For example, we may have a mechanical designer that is working on the design of one subproject, and is tied to other subprojects in the order of priority. and the same with other skillsets involving the subprojects. Managed this way, it's as if one subproject is dependent on another and tied accordingly. I'm not sure if there is a way to tie individual mpp files and still manage our schedule the way we currently do?
    Monday, April 28, 2014 4:21 PM
  • BrentHdsh --

If all of your projects are subprojects in a master project, then your problem is already solved.  You and your new scheduler can work on different subprojects at the same time, but what you cannot do is have both of you open and edit the master project at the same time.  The key is for each of you to work on different subprojects, but only one of you can open the master project at a time.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:44 PM
  • BrentHdsh --

Allow me to add one more thought.  Suppose that you need to set a cross-project link between two of the projects in the master project.  You DO NOT need to open the master project to accomplish this.  Here is how to do it:

1. Open the first project and apply the Gantt Chart view.
    2. Open the second project and apply the Gantt Chart view.
    3. Click the View tab to display the View ribbon.
    4. In the Window section of the View ribbon, click the New Window button.
    5. In the New Window dialog, select the two open projects, leave the Gantt Chart view selected on the View pick list, and then click the OK button.

What you just built is a TEMPORARY master project consisting only of the two open projects as subprojects.  In this temporary master project, set your cross-project links, as needed.  When you are finished, close the temporary master project and DO NOT save it.  Remember that the cross-project links are not stored in the temporary master project; instead, they are stored in each subproject.  Save each of the two projects and you are in business.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, April 28, 2014 4:52 PM
  • Thanks again Dale. Unfortunately, sounds like our goal objective of a Master Scheduler and a Production Scheduler both operating on the same mpp file at the same time is not possible. You would think, this software being much like an excel based program on steroids, would have the same capabilities as excel, where when set up properly, can support multiple users on the same file, at the same time, as long as they are not simultaneously trying to edit and save within the same cell. I've heard rumors of sharepoint or other server based software allowing those capabilities with mpp. I'm guessing those are not accurate? Looks like we might have to restructure our scheduling process or possibly look into other software that may support our scheduling needs. I appreciate your rapid replies and if there is no other resolution, thanks so much for your help.   

Monday, April 28, 2014 5:10 PM
  • I will definitely look into this. Anything that will help us make the most of what we have will definitely help. Thanks Dale!
    Monday, April 28, 2014 5:15 PM
  • BrentHdsh --

My guess is that the process I described will make your life much easier.  :)  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Monday, April 28, 2014 6:30 PM