SharePoint is not updating IIS RRS feed

• Question

• While in the process of adding ssl certs to my farm, it appears I must have done something to break the communication between IIS and SharePoint. None of my web apps would load... all giving this error:

This page can't be displayed

• Make sure the web address is correct.
    • Look for the page with your search engine.
    • Refresh the page in a few minutes.

After messing around a bit, I decided to remove all web apps via CA... then I looked at iis... and low and behold, all of the web apps were still present. So... I deleted them manually from both of my sp servers for this farm.

I then created a web app and tried to access....same error... checked iis and the newly created web app did not get created, even though CA shows that it exists. However, I notice a question mark on SharePoint Web Services IIS Site... is SharePoint Web Services responsible for updating IIS with config changes? I have a fully functioning farm without sites... not much good if IIS doesn't render them! ;)

Any insight? Suggestions?

- Rick

Thursday, April 25, 2013 2:39 PM

Answers

• I have resolved this by stopping/starting the SharePoint Web Foundation Service.

thanks to all

- Rick

• Proposed as answer by Trevor SewardMVP Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, April 26, 2013 7:49 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:30 PM
  • CA->Services on Server->Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application
    • Marked as answer by SP RickyRick Friday, April 26, 2013 1:59 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 7:51 AM

All replies

• I would delete the web applications from CA and then stop the web application service on the server that's not provisioning IIS.  Once it's stopped, start it again and try recreating your web app.

MCITP-EA | "You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way" | Hope This Helps!

Thursday, April 25, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Ryan.... you are on to something....

Just checked the Web Foundation Service on my app server and it is stuck in 'Stopping'.... I tried starting it with powershell... but it will not start... now it is stuck in 'starting'.... 

Any ideas on how to force a stop/start?

- Rick

Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:12 PM
  • You have tried IIS reset?  I am not certain that would stop the service, you may need to restart the server.

MCITP-EA | "You don't understand anything until you learn it more than one way" | Hope This Helps!

• Edited by ThatGuyRyan Thursday, April 25, 2013 5:02 PM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 4:47 PM
  • I have resolved this by stopping/starting the SharePoint Web Foundation Service.

thanks to all

- Rick

• Proposed as answer by Trevor SewardMVP Thursday, April 25, 2013 10:44 PM
    • Marked as answer by GuYuming Friday, April 26, 2013 7:49 AM
    Thursday, April 25, 2013 7:30 PM
  • CA->Services on Server->Microsoft SharePoint Foundation Web Application
    • Marked as answer by SP RickyRick Friday, April 26, 2013 1:59 PM
    Friday, April 26, 2013 7:51 AM