none
Sound starting with loud Pop

Question

• I installed AUS Xonar D2X sound card on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit system.
    But now every sound starts with a loud Pop sound.

Before I had a Xonar DX sound-card installed.
    In the registry I found some traces of the old (DX) card ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\PCI\VEN_13F6&DEV_8788&SUBSYS_82751043&REV_00]).
    How do I remove these obsolete key?
    Using Regedit fails (permission denied).

Fulco

Friday, March 05, 2010 12:43 PM

All replies

• Hi Fulco,

You may right click on the registry entry to export and backup it, then right click on the registry entry to change the permission and delete it.

I would like to suggest you uninstall and reinstall the sound card driver, then disable all the advanced features of the sound card to check the issue.

If it does not work, you may also test the issue in Clean Boot.

What’s the result?

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Monday, March 08, 2010 5:40 AM
  • I removed obsolete drivers.
    Did a Uninstall and Install action.
    Problem still not solved.

I will continue testing, and report back.

Fulco

Thursday, March 11, 2010 2:37 PM
  • Hi Fulco,

I know that uninstall and reinstall the sound card driver cannot fix the issue.

I would like to confirm that have you tried the following two troubleshooting suggestions:

1.    Disable all the advanced features of the sound card.

2.    Test the issue in Clean Boot.

Please update to us when you are available.

Regards,

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Friday, March 12, 2010 6:53 AM
  • The pop-sound started when I replaced a ASUS DX for a ASUS D2X.
    The DX was working perfectly in this exact configuration.

I test using the Windows 7, Sounds Control Panel: selecting a ‘Program Event’ (with a Sound) and then clicking Test.
    Repeating this procedure, with different ‘Program Events’, produces a Pop-Sound in about 1 in 5 clicks.

I checked: different SPDIF cables; coax connection; different Receivers.
    And also Uninstalled, Restarted and Installed the drivers.

The popping is related to ‘Dolby Digital Life’ and ‘DTS Interactive’.
    Stereo output (over Digital out SPDIF/Coax) doesn’t make a Pop-Sound.

I also noticed between ‘Program Event’ sounds, the Receiver switched to PCM, while playing a Sound the Receiver switches to Dolby Digital 5.1 (which is correct). On another PC, with a DX, the Receiver doesn’t switch to PCM in-between sounds, just shows no signal.

Fulco

Friday, March 12, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Please help,

This home entertainment system, is now unusable!

Fulco

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:38 PM
  • Please help,

This home entertainment system, is now unusable!

Fulco

Thursday, March 25, 2010 12:39 PM
  • System Configuration test:
    Services: Disabled all non Microsoft Services
    Startup:  Disabled all except: MS Security Essentials; CmiCnfg Dynamic Link Library; HsMgr (\stswow64\HsMgrexe); MsMgr (\system\HsMgr64.exe)
    Stiil popping sounds.
    Friday, April 02, 2010 1:00 PM
  • Hi Fulco,

Had the same problem as you - popping sound at the beginning of every first sound, after a period of silence. Found a solution on the net: When "Smart Volume" is disabled from the Asus Xonar DX Audio center, the problem disappears! Try it and do tell if it helped. I am now enjoying normal sound

Monday, April 05, 2010 12:31 PM
  • I don’t use ‘Smart Volume’.
    The ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3 I bought, has the same issue.
    This helped:
    Open the Xonar D2X Audio Center. Click on the Mixer button. Choose Record. Click the eyeball above Line in for monitoring. That's it. This seems to keep the audio connection "open" and prevents the popping and noises when it "reopens" it to play sounds on SPDIF
    The driver(s) also suffer from stuttering audio.
    Tuesday, April 06, 2010 4:59 PM
  • The sound and video issues are far from solved:
    Playing (file) or watching (life) HD video (Satellite DVB-S2 h264) results in:
    Audio: stuttering, ‘static noise’ and short hum noises
    Video: stuttering, dropouts, blocky and sometimes totally distorted video

Searching the internet, I found several recent posts, describing the same issues with the ASUS Xonar HDAV 1.3, Xonar D2X and other audio cards. The main reason for the problems are a high latency due to some drivers. On my system I found: the ASUS HDAV 1.3 drivers (Digital Dolby or DTS Life output) cause a large increase in the system Latency (DPC Latency Checker > 500 us, with spikes > 3000 us every few seconds). Switching to PCM, solves most of the video-dropouts, video-stuttering and sound issues, but not completely.
    So: switching to Stereo (PCM only has 2 channel output on my system) make HD video watchable. To do so, I don’t need a expensive audio card, the onboard audio can do this. And I want Dolby Digital 5.1 output!

Fulco

(Windows 7) OS: Windows 7 64bit; ASUS P6T7WS Supercomputer; Intel i7 920; 12 Gb Ram; ATI Radeon 5870;  Adaptec RAID 5405; ASUS HDAV 1.3; 3x TeVii S470 DVB-S/S2

Wednesday, April 21, 2010 9:01 AM
  • Seven years after you posted this response... it just fixed my issue... THANK YOU>>> THANK YOU it was driving me bananas... 
    Friday, April 21, 2017 1:40 AM