Windows 7 Freezing....SOS!!! RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I bought a new computer barely six months ago and it has Windows 7 on it. I have an anti virus and malware on it, but I can't really run them because if I leave my computer on for about an hour to two hours, it completely freezes. I can't move the mouse, pressing ctrl+alt+delete does not work either. I have to completely turn it off by the power button and turn it back on. The computer never says what was wrong, only that it did not shut down properly. My mother also has Windows 7 on her computer and she has the same problem as I do.

I have Windows 7 Home Premium. It is a 64-bit Operating System and my computer is an HP.
    I do have Internet Explorer (I read where some people had problems with IE freezing their computers) but I never use it unless I absolutely have too. I have Firefox, which I use all the time.

The computer freezing happened before I downloaded Firefox and still happens. Even while running an anti virus or malware program, it still will freeze unless I am constantly on it.

Please help!!!!!!
    I've tried everything I can think of to fix this!!!

Regards,
    Lydia
    Sunday, September 25, 2011 3:30 PM

Answers

• Some machines can have trouble accessing in built recovery, When machine boots keep tapping F8 and you should get a windows boot options, Repair my computer. This will be more than likely take you to the same menu.

You could try going back to a earlier restore point, But I'd always recommend having data backed up just encase. If that isn't succesful try the full factory recovery.

Try looking through the different function keys and options on boot to access to diagnostics.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:53 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Lydia87,

there might be several causes of the issue. The best would be asking some IT guy to remotely connect to your computer and make some tests.

As simple solution could be using a recovery CD, that some manufacturers provide and to restore your computer to original state.
    Another solution would be running some HW diagnostics. If you do not have this CD, it should be available on manufacturer's website.

If you need futher assistance, please attach the following information:

1) What antivirus and antimalware do you use?
    2) What model of computer is it? HP something something :)
    3) Do you have a recovery CD/DVD and diagnostics CD?

Thanks in advance
    M.

• Edited by MStoppl Monday, September 26, 2011 12:29 PM
    Monday, September 26, 2011 12:28 PM
  • Hi Lydia87,

there might be several causes of the issue. The best would be asking some IT guy to remotely connect to your computer and make some tests.

As simple solution could be using a recovery CD, that some manufacturers provide and to restore your computer to original state.
    Another solution would be running some HW diagnostics. If you do not have this CD, it should be available on manufacturer's website.

If you need futher assistance, please attach the following information:

1) What antivirus and antimalware do you use?
    2) What model of computer is it? HP something something :)
    3) Do you have a recovery CD/DVD and diagnostics CD?

Thanks in advance
    M.

I already had a tech guy look at it but he said he couldn't find anything wrong with it. I had another tech guy look at it by remote but he couldn't find anything either.

I have a HP G62 Notebook PC
    I am using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and my anti virus is Microsoft Security Essentials.
    No I don't have a recovery CD or DVD.

I also tried using the System to find problems with my computer or run one of those diagnostic tests it can do but it found no problems either.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 12:15 PM
  • Modern hp machines generally have a inbuilt hard-disk based recovery system, normally f11 on bios screen to access.

Secondly they sometimes have a diagnostics utility you could try running this aswell. This can be accessed at the bios screen again. usually f10 or esc to access additional options.

Edit: remember before using the recovery system to back-up any important data.
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:45 PM
  • Modern hp machines generally have a inbuilt hard-disk based recovery system, normally f11 on bios screen to access.

Secondly they sometimes have a diagnostics utility you could try running this aswell. This can be accessed at the bios screen again. usually f10 or esc to access additional options.

Edit: remember before using the recovery system to back-up any important data.
    How do you get to a "bios screen"???
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:27 AM
  • When you first turn a machine , you will generally notice a low resolution image with a manufacturer on it. This is part of the bios.

So as soon as you turn it on keep tapping the function key you need. normally a description at bottom of screen will explain the different options available. 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 8:09 AM
  • When you first turn a machine , you will generally notice a low resolution image with a manufacturer on it. This is part of the bios.

So as soon as you turn it on keep tapping the function key you need. normally a description at bottom of screen will explain the different options available. 

Should I create a restore point or just back everything up on my computer then try to do the recovery system????

Edited Note: I pressed "esc" when I restarted my comp and it came up with a different screen. At the very bottom it said "Diagnostic" but it wasn't an option to run it.
    Also, on the bios screen, I pressed f11 to do the recovery system and it said "Running Recovery System..." but then my computer started as normal. Am I doing something wrong?

• Edited by Lydia87 Thursday, September 29, 2011 3:04 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 1:55 AM
  • Some machines can have trouble accessing in built recovery, When machine boots keep tapping F8 and you should get a windows boot options, Repair my computer. This will be more than likely take you to the same menu.

You could try going back to a earlier restore point, But I'd always recommend having data backed up just encase. If that isn't succesful try the full factory recovery.

Try looking through the different function keys and options on boot to access to diagnostics.

The answers/solutions that I provide are from personal experience. They are as is and come with no warranty.
    • Marked as answer by Leo Huang Thursday, October 6, 2011 7:53 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:54 AM