Rules does not work on certain email addresses on outlook 365 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Pros and Guru's

I am using outlook365 on office365.  One of my users complained and I too noticed that his rules do not get applied to his inbox.  His rules are applied to the inbox to move email from for example abc@abc.com  to the abc folder which is a .pst folder.

When you "Run" the rule it does not get executed on the inbox.  I have to manually click on the home tab, Move, then click on the rule, needless to say that it is not how it should be happening. 

Appreciate any assistance in this regards

Thank you

Neil
    • Edited by Monketrip28 Monday, October 2, 2017 11:22 AM
    Monday, October 2, 2017 11:19 AM

All replies

• Hi Neil,

>>When you "Run" the rule it does not get executed on the inbox.

Do you mean this rule even do not work when manually run it under Rules > Manage Rules & Alerts?

>>Rules does not work on certain email addresses on outlook 365

It looks that this issue only happen with a certain email address, correct? Could you specify the steps you used to create the rule? When selecting/entering the email address while creating the rule, how did you do it? Please try manually typing the full email address instead of selecting it from your contacts folder, and then see whether this issue continues.

Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Proposed as answer by Steve Fan Friday, October 6, 2017 9:34 AM
    Tuesday, October 3, 2017 6:40 AM
  • Hi Neil,

Just checking in to see if the information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Steve Fan

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 12, 2017 9:48 AM
  • I just ran across this thread and I am having the same issue. When I set up the rule, it is set that when an email is sent to abc@cdef.com (obviously not the actual email) which is an email address that goes to my entire department, it is supposed to move it to a folder. This does not happen it just goes to my inbox like normal as if I did not have this rule. I have tried to set this rule in outlook client and on Outlook in Office 365 with no success.

Any ideas?

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 5:14 PM
  • I'm having the same exact problem with Outlook 365 16.0.10730.20334 with an Exchange server.  I'm trying to create a rule to move all my corporate news updates to a folder.  These come from various corporate email addresses.

As far as I can tell, any rules I create that for email addresses are in my corporate address book do not have the rule run.   For example, if enter john.smith@mycompany.com as the Rule address and he is in the company address book, it changes to "John Smith".  When the rule runs, it never finds emails from John Smith and nothing happens.

Rules for external email addresses (those not in the address book), work fine.

Friday, July 19, 2019 4:44 PM