How to turn off annoying Auto Arrange in folder view? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.
    I'm not talking about sorting icons on Desktop. I need to be able to sort icons MANUALLY in folder.
    I could do this in Windows XP, 2000, 98, 95, but not in Win7. 

Will this "auto arrange" bug be fixed in Windows7 Service Pack 1?

Monday, February 8, 2010 3:48 PM

Answers

• The feature you described, manually arranging files within folders is by design in Windows 7.

In Windows 7, you can use several methods to arrange your files. For more information, please refer to: Viewing and arranging files and folders

Also, you can add more details to arrange the files. To do so, please open Windows Explorer, click View -> Choose Details, and then add the item you would like to sort the files.

Here is an article introduces Organizing with Windows 7 Libraries.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 15, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:34 AM

All replies

• Hi,

it is not possible to disable AutoArrange:

Windows Explorer in Windows 7 uses a new custom list view control that doesn't support custom ordering like the old one did. So in folder views you can no longer drag items around to rearrange them. Basically, pretty much nobody used this (except on the desktop, where it is still supported), and re-implementing it in the new virtualized list view wasn't worth the cost.

Source:
    http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?act=findpost&hl=&pid=591458464

So, MS hat to include that feature by adding the function back. Contact the MS support and request it. Maybe MS will bringt it back in Sp1.

André
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Monday, February 8, 2010 4:12 PM
  • The feature you described, manually arranging files within folders is by design in Windows 7.

In Windows 7, you can use several methods to arrange your files. For more information, please refer to: Viewing and arranging files and folders

Also, you can add more details to arrange the files. To do so, please open Windows Explorer, click View -> Choose Details, and then add the item you would like to sort the files.

Here is an article introduces Organizing with Windows 7 Libraries.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Monday, February 15, 2010 2:33 AM
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 6:34 AM
  • André Ziegler says, “Basically, pretty much nobody used this….” (Manually rearranging files in folder view).

I used it frequently for photos to set up slide shows: manually re-arrange a group of photos into a more rational sequence in folder view, Select All and Rename to give new, permanent sequence for the photos.

There must be some simple way to maintain this functionality in Windows 7.

Thanks,

Savvypete
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:22 PM
  • Ididn't say this! It was a quote from a MSFT employee working at the Shell team!

Here you can find a workaround:

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/disable-sorting-auto-arrange.html?lang=EN

best regards
    André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Monday, May 24, 2010 4:41 PM
    Monday, May 24, 2010 4:41 PM
  • Dear André, I apologize for misquoting you. Thank you for the tip.

Cheers,

Peter

Friday, May 28, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Well Service Pack 1 Release Candidate is out and I don't see this blocking problem fixed in it. Working with files is impossible without auto sort and auto arrange turned off. I have formatted and gone back to Windows XP SP3. No problem with that OS.

Microsoft can't take any action or notice but I definitely can.
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:25 AM
  • I too have removed Windows 7 SOLELY due to the fact that personal orgainisation of icons within a folder view is no longer implemented. I was under the impression that this was an issue Microsoft were going to look in to and resolve in SP1 - how wrong was I! Oh well, llike winsight above me I too have gone back to Windows XP SP3 due to Microsoft refusing to address this issue that has been raised by many customers.
    • Proposed as answer by paulkebab Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:25 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 5:05 PM
  • Hi Andre - thanks for the tip, I tried through regedit but it didnt work so ran the zip file on your link, now I can freely arrange my files etc, brilliant! Thanks again!
    Sunday, November 21, 2010 12:28 PM
  • This feature is horrible. I'd love MS to fix this properly so I can turn auto-arrange off!
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 4:38 PM
  • This feature is horrible. I'd love MS to fix this properly so I can turn auto-arrange off!

Here you can find a workaround:

http://www.unawave.de/windows-7-tipps/disable-sorting-auto-arrange.html?lang=EN

best regards
    André

Sunday, February 27, 2011 5:37 PM
  • Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.
    • Proposed as answer by xpclient Tuesday, October 25, 2011 8:28 AM
    • Edited by xpclient Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:04 PM
    Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Vote people.  We shouldn't stand for any company removing features.  We use MS not because it is the best, but because we understand it and don't want to invest our time learning something to do what we already know how to do.  It's why we don't care about ring tones.  It's just a waste of time.

Now vote if you want this feature back:

Send your feedback here: https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsServerFeedback/feedback/details/741495/biggest-explorer-annoyance-automatic-sorting-windows-7-server-2008-r2-and-vista#details to reinstate Auto arrange and Auto sort options for Windows 8 so they can be optionally turned off.

Here's what my vote says ...

Look Microsoft, stop trying to be Apple.  There's a reason we don't use those products.  Ever since they had me drag a diskette to the trash to eject it, I realized they hadn't a clue about the meaning of things.

Your OS is a means to an ends, not anything someone would buy without applications that reside on it.
    You are a productivity software company first, primarily Word, PowerPoint, and Excel. Live with it already!
    Volvo is a safety car, not a sports car, and those idiots don't get that either.

The reason we originally bought Windows is to run this productivity stuff, but now, there are other solutions that run on Mac and Unix.  So, why do we stay with Microsquish?  Well, I'll tell you.

We understand how to use the Windows UI.  Some of us have been using it since Windows 3.1 or 95, or 98, or XP.  While it isn't everything we want in the way of customization, we don't expect you to screw with the UI, especially to remove folders or stop offering the classic view, or to list files differently (other than the icon) just because they are media files.

You really screwed up this time with Windows 7 and the lack of ability to turn off auto-arrange in folders!  And this media file folder columns being different than other file types -- well, just let me say, someone in your design team needs to be fired.  The Donald would never accept such performance!

Last thing users really want is to deal with this stupidity.  You've been stonewalling on the 1st item at least since 2009.  Stop it.  If we have to learn to deal with this, we might as well go learn the Apple paradigm.  You can screw with the OS all you want, adding improvements and enhancements, but give us a classic shell UI that doesn't require us to install something from a 3rd party that could harm performance or worse, and we don't want a registry hack.  We want our features back!

Now, stop stonewalling, and put the folder disable auto-arrange back into the folder right-click menu, and allow a simple disable, perhaps under Folder Tools > options to disable special display of media files in folders.  This is a no brainer.  What the heck is wrong with you guys?

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 5:32 PM
  • The ZIP file also worked for me. The best thing is to set the icons to medium size first. Apply to All. Then close the window and download the Zipfile. Save a file inside the folder like he specifies and you should be GTG
    Monday, March 24, 2014 3:05 PM
  • In Windows 7, you can use several methods to arrange your files. For more information, please refer to: Viewing and arranging files and folders

This does not answer the question. It is possible to sort by criteria; that is not the same as manually reordering!

Wednesday, April 2, 2014 2:17 PM