problems upgradeing from xp sp 3 to vista ultamate RRS feed

• Question

• when I put the disc in i get a dll.  error and then a autorun.exe error that tells me  to check it against the disk every forum I look at here says to run the upgrade adviser  but the upgrade adviser isnt availlable for windows vista. I bought vista at a store brand new so I know its not the disk can some one please help ?

Wednesday, December 22, 2010 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Run full disk scan to make sure the system is free of virus.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, December 24, 2010 12:50 PM
  • it might also be his security software.. trying to stop autorun.inf of the vista dvd. - disabling it for the setup process is a good idea anyway, it could interfer with a lot of vistas setup ( registry is being accessed ! ) .

OP : try openening the dvd by not letting it "autostart", but explorer, open disk and run the setup.exe from vista ( the blue windows package icon ) manually. 

If all fails, you might want to boot the PC from the disk and run the upgrade that way - "outside" your current OS, maybe your XP installation is borked somehow..

The OS Tweaking Guy ;)
    Monday, December 27, 2010 3:43 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Run full disk scan to make sure the system is free of virus.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, December 24, 2010 12:50 PM
  • it might also be his security software.. trying to stop autorun.inf of the vista dvd. - disabling it for the setup process is a good idea anyway, it could interfer with a lot of vistas setup ( registry is being accessed ! ) .

OP : try openening the dvd by not letting it "autostart", but explorer, open disk and run the setup.exe from vista ( the blue windows package icon ) manually. 

If all fails, you might want to boot the PC from the disk and run the upgrade that way - "outside" your current OS, maybe your XP installation is borked somehow..

The OS Tweaking Guy ;)
    Monday, December 27, 2010 3:43 AM