DPM Storage pool utilization RRS feed

• Question

• Morning

Similar to an already asked question

I have 3 DPM Storage Pools all 22,355.78 GB

Disk1 0% unallocated

Disk3 18% unallocated

Disk4 89% unallocated

I have intermittent backup failures due to this (either VSS retry or backup failed due to not enough space)

I want to move some of the backups from disk 1 to disk 4 just to juggle the space around a bit

If you could let me know if there is a way to move individual backup guests (and I assume run a constistancy check afterwards)

Thanks

Tuesday, June 18, 2013 9:02 PM

Answers

• Hi

I would focus more in the VSS retry error - do you have details on those errors ?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:17 PM

All replies

• HI,

The errors you get from dpm for not enough disk space is related to either the replica volume or recovery point volume being full and has nothing to do with a physical disk being 100% utilized.  Moving data sources from one disk to another will not effect the errors you get.

Do you have auto-grow enabled ?

If you insist on moving datasources from disk1 to disk4, you can do so using the following:

Using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd282970.aspx

You want to use the datasource to disk syntax.

MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 [-DPMServerName] <string> [-Source] <data source> [-Destination] <disk[]>

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 7:07 PM
  • Morning

My backups have been working succesffully for months and months across 5 hosts (approx 100 guests).

Its just recently I've been getting the VSS retry error (and rarely the out of disk space error), Yes I do have autogrow enabled

I assumed it was the DPM storage pool causing the issue due to the low space, when the Job retries it is able to backup successfully, but if you believe that moving those backup locations will not help I wont do that

I guess i'll just have to do more running around to find out what else could be causing it then 

The reason i wasnt using MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 is it looks like its only concerned about moving whole disks rather than individual guests backups
    Monday, June 24, 2013 12:38 AM
  • Hi

I would focus more in the VSS retry error - do you have details on those errors ?

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Thank you.

Yeah that's the issue I was looking at then I discovered the minimal space, i'll close this and start a new post in the right place then

Monday, June 24, 2013 11:45 PM