Task sequence 'out of memory' error at Windows Update stage, when creating Win 7 x86 reference image. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

Tearing my hair out with this one! I'm trying to create a Win 7 Enterprise x86 reference image, and my task sequence fails at the Windows Update stage, giving an 'out of memory' error, though my Hyper-V machine has 4GB allocated to it, and task manager doesn't show it coming close to full memory usage at the time. Plenty of virtual disk space, too. Screenshot attached - have access to logs as well, if anyone needs? The same deployment share creates x64 reference images fine...

Would sincerely appreciate any help you can provide.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 11:16 AM

Answers

All replies

• http://deploymentresearch.com/Research/Post/357/Building-reference-images-like-a-boss

Well It's a 32bit OS so throwing more memory at it won't help. You may need to add a suspend task and disable the Windows update tasks in your sequence. Then manually run Windows update while the task sequence is suspended.

If this post is helpful please vote it as Helpful or click Mark for answer.

Thursday, February 11, 2016 4:40 PM
  • I had a problem similiar to this building x64 images. There are so many updates for Windows 7 that the process takes more and more memory as it goes on. 

I read a post from Keith Garner that I can no longer find that showed how to get ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf to only install 100 updates at a time. I went a little more conservative and changed my ZTIWindowsUpdate script to only install 50 at a time.

I made a new script file called ZTIWindowsUpdate50.wsf (so I didn't change the built in script) and just call that instead of the original ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf.

Here is a download to my modified ZTIWindowsUpdate script: Download from OneDrive

Thursday, February 11, 2016 5:34 PM
  • I am having the exact same issue as Arterion86.  This problem surfaced for us when the Feb. 2016 patches were released.  I tried your updated ZTIWindowsUpdate script and was not successful.  Thank you however.  Any additional help would be greatly appreciated.

Aaron Greenblatt

Friday, February 12, 2016 8:59 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem.  Started with the Feb. 2016 updates and does not happen on X64 builds.  Interestingly, after the failure a manual Microsoft Updates run works without problem.  Just failing with the ZTIWindowsUpdate script (including one modified to 50 updates per pass).  Any answers that work would be greatly appreciated.  Nice to see I am not the only one experiencing this problem.  Why does Microsoft not release an SP2 for Windows 7?

Aaron Greenblatt

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:02 PM
  • If this problem is holding you up just disable updating in the task sequence and add a suspend task. Then manually run windows update. Don't worry it'll be fine to reboot several times and keep checking for updates until none are left. Then just run the shortcut to resume the task sequence.

Friday, February 12, 2016 9:41 PM
  • Thank you for the edited WindowsUpdate script, though unfortunately it didn't work.

The newest version of the script sets global constants at the beginning which govern the same thing; changing this to 50 didn't work either :-(

• Edited by Arterion86 Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:28 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:28 AM
  • I tried adding a suspend then running a manual wuapp, but wuapp fails to search for updates and gives an 8007000E error, or a never ending 'checking for updates' progress bar.

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

• Edited by Arterion86 Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:29 AM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 11:02 AM
  • While it's suspended, did you try the fix for that error? http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Windows-Update-error-80070008-or-8007000e

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 2:24 PM
  • Try this for Windows 7: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2016/02/12/build-windows-7-images-faster-by-patching-them-faster.aspx

• Marked as answer by Arterion86 Friday, February 19, 2016 12:44 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:28 PM
  • All of the latest ZTIWindowsUpdate.wsf changes are found in MDT 2013 Update 2.

Please ensure that your MDT deployment share is running at this level.

Keith Garner - Principal Consultant [owner] - http://DeploymentLive.com

• Proposed as answer by Keith GarnerMVP Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:57 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:57 PM
  • Try this for Windows 7: http://blogs.technet.com/b/mniehaus/archive/2016/02/12/build-windows-7-images-faster-by-patching-them-faster.aspx

Updating the WUAgent via a loaded package totally fixed this, thank you SO much, Dan_Vega!
    Friday, February 19, 2016 12:46 PM