none
GPO changing forder redirection path, some users/computer still refer to the old server path

Question

• Hi,

my situation:

SERVER1 DC win2008r2 SERVER2 member server win2008R2

A couple of month ago, I have modified a GPO: path of  folder redirection. (desktop, document, start menu) from SERVER2\USERDATA$\%USERNAME% to SERVER1\USERDATA$\%USERNAME%

It seems it was all fine. The 3 folders migrated after various user login/logout from server2 path to new server1 path.

Now randomly happens, that some user after loggin-in, finds references to the old path. It happens more often when a user log-in into a different computer that he generally seldom use. In this way I see folders migrate again into the old path SERVER2\USERDATA$\%USERNAME%

When this happens, if I check this two keys on user pc:

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders

and

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

I can see that desktop, documents and start menu still refer to the old path.

Also if I run Gpresult /h C:\temp\polycy.htm, I see the old path.

So  I tried to run gpupdate /force /logoff Sometimes it works, and after logoff/machine restart, the folder migrate again to the new right path.

Sometimes it doesn’t work.

More complicated: If one of these affected  users login into his pc with his credentials, and than use the same credentials to login via RDP into a Terminal server, the 3 folders migrate to the old path, and when he logout from RDP session, he finds an empty desktop (because  all files are now into the old path)

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Marco

• Edited by mrcmobile Monday, March 20, 2017 11:01 PM
    Monday, March 20, 2017 4:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Marco,

To change the folder redirection path, you need change the path to local profile location first. Then changing the path to new location after all user applied the local profile location.

Steps to change folder redirection path:

• change the folder redirection to "Redirect to local userprofile location"
    • make sure all user applied the setting "Redirect to local userprofile location"
    • change the folder redirection to new path and run gpupdate /force on client

For your scenario, you could try to move users out the current OU, then re-add those users to the OU.

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 1:57 AM
  • Hi Jay Gu, thank you for your reply.

In my scenario I think this good solution could not be applicable.
    I really ignored your best practice, for moving folder redirection.

Anyway, now this solution is not applicable, just because some of these users, sometime change their usual pc.
    If I switch to local profile path, they could begin to find different desktops depending on pc they are using.

Tell me if this could be a solution:

I could manually edit these 2 register keys

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folder
    HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

on each pc they have used. It could be a little frustrating, but we are talking about 20/25 registry editing.

What about?

Marco

• Edited by mrcmobile Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:19 AM
    Tuesday, March 21, 2017 7:17 AM
  • Hi,

You could try to modify it with your method after backup registry.

Due to I cannot re-produce the problem, I cannot test for your. Look forward your good news.

Best Regards,

Jay

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 8:31 AM
  • Hi Marco,

How many DCs are there in the network?
    Is there any replication issues between the DCs? Are you able to find file replication errors or warnings in the event logs?

File replication causes many strange gpo issues. Its worth checking that before going further.

If the issue is only for old users and if you can see the issue fixed after clearing the locally cached profiles of the users from the PCs, worth configure "Profile management" in any of the computer GPO to clear the locally cached profiles of the users globally.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
    Abhi...

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 9:14 AM
  • Hi Abhi,

I don't think it could be a replication issue. There are 3 DC and the policy is correcly replicated among DCs. Also if I made a change or create a new user, it is correctly replicated on all DCs.
    Do I have to find a particular event ID?

- I don't understand what you mean when you say: "it's worth configure "Profile management" in any of the computer GPO to clear the locally cached profiles of the users globally"

Do you mean I have to clear/delete affected user profile, into his PC, via profile management? > pc properties > advanced settings > profile > delete?
    Or are talking about a particular GPO objet, to clear this issues globaly in AD?

thank you

Marco

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 10:21 AM
  • HI Marco,

If replication logs have Event ID:13516 and no warnings or errors, then the replication is fine.

Yes, I meant clearing the user profile on a PC manually and if it can resolve the issue, configure Profile management in the Group policy to globally clear cached profiles of users from the computers.

Many Thanks,

Abhi...

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:37 AM
  • Hi Marco,

Have you changed the path in registry as mentioned above?

And it works?

Best Regards,

Jay 

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:44 AM
  • Hi Jay,

I'm still checking... because I need to know from each user, which pc he uses to work on.

I will tell you in the next days what it will happen.

anyway, on pc already 'regedited' it seem that redirected folders stay in the right place.

Marco

• Edited by mrcmobile Wednesday, March 22, 2017 4:52 PM
    Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:43 AM
  • Hi Jay, just a question: when you say "make sure all user applied the setting Redirect to local userprofile location", you mean this setting you can see in the picture?

So I have to remove the redirect path for "Desktop", in the Destination settings.

And then I have to point to Settings for desktop policy, and chek "reindirizza la cartella nel percorso...." in english: "Redirect to local userprofile when profiles are removed"

Correct?

Thank you

Marco

Wednesday, April 5, 2017 2:04 PM