PS2010: Reassign a task to multiple resources in PWA? RRS feed

• Question

• In PWA, the reassign dialog (in My Tasks) allows to select only one resource in the Reassign To drop down. Any way to allow non-project managers with reassign authority to be able to reassign a task to more than one resource? I envision there may be a need to assign a task to multiple resources working in parallel as well as in sequence, especially if it's a long task, and, say, a team lead wants to spread the work load accordingly.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:41 PM

Answers

• Hi Maxim,

Using the Reassign feature, you can only re-assign an assignment to one other resource.

You could grant the team lead permissions to open and edit the schedule in PWA Project Center where he can assign a task to multiple resources.
    Or you could grant the resources the permission to assign themself to an existing task. This way, they can pick up the task as needed (but the Project Manager has to closely manage the workload).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    • Proposed as answer by Ray Chapa Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander.Burton Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:52 PM

All replies

• Hi Maxim,

Using the Reassign feature, you can only re-assign an assignment to one other resource.

You could grant the team lead permissions to open and edit the schedule in PWA Project Center where he can assign a task to multiple resources.
    Or you could grant the resources the permission to assign themself to an existing task. This way, they can pick up the task as needed (but the Project Manager has to closely manage the workload).

I hope this helps,
    Hans

• Proposed as answer by Ray Chapa Tuesday, November 9, 2010 4:54 PM
    • Marked as answer by Alexander.Burton Thursday, December 9, 2010 4:30 AM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 3:52 PM
  • Hans, thanks, but I don't think either option will work for us. PjMs wouldn't want to lose control over their schedules, and when resources can self-assign tasks, it can easily spin out of control and create additional workload for PjMs, like you've said.

I wonder if the Reassign screen can be modified to allow multiple selections (and with time sequencing it would be close to perfection).

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:24 PM
  • Maxim,

You cannot modify the Reassign screen (at least not in a supported way), but using PSI you could create your own Reassign screen and make it available in PWA. But you will probably need to implement impersonation and leverage the 'Assign myself to an existng task' feature to make it happen (or add the assignments directly into the project schedule, but in this case the PM loses control over his schedule as the approval step is skipped).

Hans

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 7:57 PM