Problem with embedded files (which should be opened with an App-V application) in Word document RRS feed

• Question

•  

We have a problem with our new Microsoft Application Virtualization environment. All App-V components that are installed are the RTM versions of App-V (version 4.5.0.1485), which were downloaded from the licensing site. In our App-V environment we have now around 75 virtualized applications running.

The situation we have is on the client locally installed Microsoft Windows XP and Office 2003 (both are including all latest service packs and updates). Beside this, we installed the Microsoft Application Virtualization client (version 4.5.0.1485) and some other programs that couldn't be virtualized.

The problem is that when we try to open an embedded file at the client (let's say a Visio drawing, Visio 2007 is one of the virtualized applications) from Microsoft Word (which is installed locally on the client), the application (in this case Visio) start, but gives an error message that the file cannot be found.

We have the problem above with all embedded files that are opened in the client, from which the program to open the file with, is virtualized. With files that have their program locally installed (i.e. a text file which will be opened with notepad) we have no problems.

I looked with filemon (from sysinternals), and it seems that the windows packager makes a temporary file in the Temporary Internet Files folder. After that, this file is deleted, and then the (virtualized) application starts, and give the error that the (just deleted) file cannot be found.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 6:09 PM

Answers

• Did you by any chance have Office locally installed on the sequencer machine and did you touch this functionality while monitoring? Did it work?
    Also did this functionality work in the Launch Phase of the sequencing proces?

If so, I'm guessing that something was excluded by the sequencer and did not end up in the virtual environment.

Regards,

Ment
    • Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:20 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 7:54 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Hi Martijn_s,

There are two things you can check:
    1. If not setup already you could try setting the "Allow Local Interaction" tag in de virtual application. I've solved issues between locally installed office and other dependent (virtual) applications with these. Most of them were using macro's of plugins. I must admit it was mostly communication from the virtual app to office and not the other way around as you descibe.
    2. Make sure that the Tempory Internet Files (or any parent) did not end up in the virtualized environment of the application. That could block the virtual application from seeing the locally placed file.

I'm assuming that file associations etc work fine to the virtualized apps?

Regards,

Ment
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:23 AM
    Answerer
  • Hi Ment,

1. Yes, we checked the Local interaction switch, but there is no difference with how the application reacts.
    2. The Temporary internet files are in the profile of the user, they don't end up in the virtualized environment. With filemon, you can see that the windows packager put the file here, and after that the windows packager deletes the file, and after that the virtualized application is opened, and come with an error "the file cannot be found".

The file associations etc work fine. If I have a normal Visio (or other embedded file), and I double-click it, it normally opens. Our problem only exists in an embedded file. The problem with this is, that we have hundreds of embedded files, so would be a lot of work to extract all the embedded files, and put file links instead.

Regards,
    Martijn

Thursday, February 5, 2009 10:33 AM
  • Did you by any chance have Office locally installed on the sequencer machine and did you touch this functionality while monitoring? Did it work?
    Also did this functionality work in the Launch Phase of the sequencing proces?

If so, I'm guessing that something was excluded by the sequencer and did not end up in the virtual environment.

Regards,

Ment
    • Proposed as answer by znack Sunday, August 23, 2009 8:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:20 PM
    Friday, February 6, 2009 7:54 AM
    Answerer