none
Unable to remove ability for resources to logon to PS2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a PS2010 environment that's been in place approximately 18 months.  In the course of initial setup, we gave Project Server access to larger group of associates than is necessary.  There are a number of users that have never logged in and we'd now like to remove their permissions.  I've gone into Resource Center and unchecked the "Resource can logon to Project Server" box and hit save.  However, the action doesn't appear to take, as when I recheck that person's access, the box has gone back to being checked.

I've attempted to remove the logon details and then uncheck the box and have gotten the same results.

Has anyone run into this issue before?  If not, any ideas where I could continue my investigation?

Thanks for any help!

Tuesday, January 20, 2015 4:03 PM

Answers

• Hi,

it is a "feature", applied with some update.

If you remove a user from all groups, he will not be able to see anything there - since you removed all permissions. They will get an "Access denied".

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

• Marked as answer by OLAFFUB Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:47 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I can confirm what you are seeing. The easiest way to remove login for them is to remove them from all groups.
    Is this a possible approach for you?

Regards
    Barbara

To increase the value of this forum, please mark the replies that helped to solve your issue as answer. If you find answers to questions from other forum participants to be helpful, please mark them as helpful. Your participation will help others to find an appropriate solution faster. Thanks for your support!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 8:36 AM
  • Hello,

Why don't you mark these users as Inactive?

Hope this helps. Regards

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 9:37 AM
  • Hi,

marking users inactive will also mark them as inactive as resource. From my understanding, the main goal is to disable login but keep them as resource.

If I am wrong, Enrique's suggestion is of course the best approach.

Regards
    Barbara

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 12:46 PM
  • Thanks Barbara.

While that will remove the users' ability to do anything, it will still allow them to login, correct?  Seems a bit more cumbersome than simply unchecking the box and removing their login credentials.

Is this a 'feature' of PS2010, or does it appear to be a configuration issue in my installation?

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:41 PM
  • Barbara - That is correct.  Resources should still be active, just not have the ability to log in.  Barring another suggestion on what would allow me to uncheck the box, removing their group permissions seems like the only available option.

On a side note, I attempted to remove their permissions, save, then go and uncheck the box/remove login credentials and have the same issue (that the box remains checked).

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:43 PM
  • As Barbara noted, these resources remain in the organization and should be available for projects.  We just don't want them to be able to login.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:44 PM
  • Hi,

it is a "feature", applied with some update.

If you remove a user from all groups, he will not be able to see anything there - since you removed all permissions. They will get an "Access denied".

Regards
    Barbara

• Marked as answer by OLAFFUB Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:25 PM
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 2:47 PM
  • Thanks Barbara!
    Wednesday, January 21, 2015 4:25 PM