Resource for Correct SCOM agent versions to use? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a resource anyone can point me to that shows me the currently correct/required agent version for monitoring:

Windows clients (Windows 7/Windows 10)

Server 2016

Our environment is currently SCOM 2012R2 UR12, Server 2012R2

Apparently my google communication skills leave a lot of room for improvement!

Thanks!

Tony

Thursday, September 6, 2018 3:30 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Broadly speaking, the latest UR has the latest agent for the specific SCOM version. So I'd say if you want the latest agent version with SCOM 2012, apply the latest SCOM 12 UR. Or upgrade your SCOM to SCOM 16 or 1801 or 1807 or whatever altogether.

Hope this helps

Cheers 

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

• Marked as answer by Tony Strother Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:21 AM

All replies

• Hi,

If I understand correctly, we want to use SCOM 2012 R2 UR12 (version: 7.1.10226.1304) to monitor win7/win10/server2016, right? If this is the case, we need to import the corresponding management packs and then install the SCOM agent to the target computers. That will do. In addition, the agent has the same version 7.1.10226.1304 as the management server. Here's MP download link:

System Center Management Pack for Windows 10 Operating System 
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=51189

Microsoft System Center Management Pack for Windows Server Operating System 2016 and 1709 Plus
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=54303

Windows Client 2000/XP/Vista/Windows 7 Operating System Management Pack for Operations Manager 2007
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15700
    (this can be used in SCOM 2012 either)

1, double click the download .msi to extract it and get the .mp or .mpb files
    2, import the mp and specify the location where we extract the files

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    -----------------------------------------------
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 7, 2018 2:20 AM
  • >> currently correct/required agent version for monitoring:
    You may refer System Center 2012 Agent Requirements for System Center 2012 R2
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/system-center/system-center-2012-R2/dn281931(v%3dsc.12)

• Windows Server 2003 SP2
    • Windows 2008 Server SP2
    • Windows 2008 Server R2
    • Windows 2008 Server R2 SP1
    • Windows Server® 2012
    • Windows Server® 2012 R2
    • Microsoft Hyper-V Server ® 2012 R2
    • Windows Server 2016
    • Windows XP Pro x64 SP2
    • Windows XP Pro SP32
    • Windows Vista SP2
    • Windows XP Embedded Standard
    • Windows XP Embedded Enterprise
    • Windows XP Embedded POSReady
    • Windows 7 Professional for Embedded Systems
    • Windows 7 Ultimate for Embedded Systems
    • Windows 7
    • Windows® 8
    • Windows® 8.1
    • Windows ® 10
    • Windows Server®2016 Technical Preview

As such, you client and server OS is in SCOM 2012 agent supporting list

Roger
    Friday, September 7, 2018 6:45 AM
  • Morning, So I suppose maybe I was not specific enough. Is there a resource that shows me the current version of the agent that is available? Other than the stock agent version that comes with the mgmt packs?

With all the updates that Microsoft throws out, I just figured that the stock agent would be out dated. I know it gets updated each time I apply the UR for SCOM 2012R2 and if that is good enough, then good enough it is. I do not use Config Mgr or WSUS to update any of the environment except the console piece since we have it on a number of workstations.

I do not generally like to be on the bleeding edge of anything but at times it does correct issues...

Thanks again,

Tony

Monday, September 10, 2018 11:26 AM
  • Hi,

If I understand correctly, in our SCOM environment, the managed computers are win7/win10 computers and we want to know their agent versions. If the agent is outdated, we need to ensure the agent version is the same as the management server, to be updated. If this is the case, we can view the agent version from the console (administration, agent managed) as shown in below sample picture:

If we apply update rollup to the SCOM servers, the version of management server is upgraded and the win7/win10 computers will be shown in "pending management", we can perform the agent upgrade. For more details, we may refer to the following blog:

UR7 for SCOM 2012 R2 – Step by Step
    https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/kevinholman/2015/08/17/ur7-for-scom-2012-r2-step-by-step/

Hope the above information helps.

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 7:12 AM
  • Thanks!
    Tuesday, September 11, 2018 11:30 AM
  • Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for the reply. I'm very glad some information is helpful to you.

If you have any questions in future, we warmly welcome you to post in this forum again.

Have a nice day!

Regards,

Alex Zhu
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 3:23 AM
  • Hi,

Broadly speaking, the latest UR has the latest agent for the specific SCOM version. So I'd say if you want the latest agent version with SCOM 2012, apply the latest SCOM 12 UR. Or upgrade your SCOM to SCOM 16 or 1801 or 1807 or whatever altogether.

Hope this helps

Cheers 

Sam (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer" wherever applicable. Thanks!) Blog:AnalyticOps Insights Twitter:Sameer Mhaisekar

• Marked as answer by Tony Strother Wednesday, September 12, 2018 11:18 AM
    Wednesday, September 12, 2018 4:21 AM