Apps not working in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Grateful for any suggestions on how to fix following issue. 

A number of Windows 10 apps (Alarms & Clock, Calculator, Calendar, Groove Music, Solitaire, Photo, etc) won't open. When I try to launch any of these apps I receive a message "This app won't open"

I've run the following command in Powershell:

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.Ins
    tallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

But received following result:

Add-AppxPackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073D02, The package could not be installed because resources it
    modifies are currently in use.
    error 0x80004004: Unable to install because the following apps need to be closed
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI.
    NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 85be1a24-1658-0001-fd07-bf855816d101 in the Event Log or use
    the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 85be1a24-1658-0001-fd07-bf855816d101
    At line:1 char:38
    + ...  | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.I ...
    +                 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (C:\Windows\Syst...ppXManifest.xml:String) [Add-AppxPackage], Exception
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.AddAppxPackage

Windows build version: 10.0.10240 N/A Build 10240

x64 based PC

Thank you for your suggestions on how to fix this issue.

Kevin

Thursday, November 5, 2015 11:47 AM

Answers

• Does Store open? I so click the user icon (face and shoulders icon) next to the search top right, select Download and updates.

Does that show updates in progress \ pending? If not click Check for updates.

If Store does not open (or updated for Store are listed as pending) open a command prompt (right click start choose Command Prompt) and enter;

wsreset

The is Windows Store reset. It will clear Stores cache and then (after a moment) open Store.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:15 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Deason Wu Monday, November 16, 2015 1:45 AM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:46 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Hello,

Also try creating a new user account and check if the apps works on that. If yes, go ahead with that account.

Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

• Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:45 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:05 PM

All replies

• Does Store open? I so click the user icon (face and shoulders icon) next to the search top right, select Download and updates.

Does that show updates in progress \ pending? If not click Check for updates.

If Store does not open (or updated for Store are listed as pending) open a command prompt (right click start choose Command Prompt) and enter;

wsreset

The is Windows Store reset. It will clear Stores cache and then (after a moment) open Store.

• Edited by -Mr Happy- Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:15 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:46 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 12:14 PM
  • Hello,

Also try creating a new user account and check if the apps works on that. If yes, go ahead with that account.

Good luck :)

Windows Troubleshooting & How to guides - http://www.kapilarya.com

• Marked as answer by Bruce Wooding Wednesday, November 18, 2015 2:45 AM
    Thursday, November 5, 2015 3:05 PM
  • Both my Surface Pro 3 and Desktop have experienced this issue.  This is an unbelievable response to tell customers to run a PowerShell script.

When I ran this script on my Surface Pro 3 it killed all of my apps

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.Ins
    tallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

Any subsequent runs of above script just made it worse.  I created a second account but that is not a practical solution. I had to run reset on my Surface Pro 3.

My Desktop was fine up and until a few hours ago and now some of it's apps are no longer working.  More particular Store is no longer working.

I am very afraid to run the same script. 

Johnny Larue, http://www.softlandingcanada.com

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 9:27 PM