none
Protecting sensitive information in Project files submitted to customers. RRS feed

• Question

• My customer requires me to submit Project files for the the contracted programs I have with them. I receive no payments for my non-recurring engineering and the customer has no contract provisions requiring me to provide cost data or utilization of my resources & personnel.

What is the simplest way to remove work & units from the Project file while maintaining all of the dates, tasks relationships, assignments, etc. prior to the file being emailed to the customer?

Tadd Herron

Sunday, March 25, 2012 6:06 PM

Answers

• Either send a pdf of your schedule that doesn't show any of that data (safest) or save a copy of the file and delete the contents of the Resource Names column.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:34 PM
  • In addition to Rod's suggestions, you could also copy and paste the task data (i.e. the Entry table - excluding the resource names column) into a new file and send that.  Copy CELLS not ROWS, otherwise ALL the data goes with it.

Hope this helps...

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:35 PM
  • You could save to Excel with a custom map giving just the columns you want to share. This will make it easily repeatable month on month.

Steps below are for 2007:

1. File > Save As
    2. On the Save As dialogue, choose the format as "Microsoft Excel Workbook"
    3. This will start the wizard, in which you can define your map. You'll only need to define the field map the first time.

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:57 AM

All replies

• Either send a pdf of your schedule that doesn't show any of that data (safest) or save a copy of the file and delete the contents of the Resource Names column.

Rod Gill

The one and only Project VBA Book Rod Gill Project Management

Sunday, March 25, 2012 7:34 PM
  • In addition to Rod's suggestions, you could also copy and paste the task data (i.e. the Entry table - excluding the resource names column) into a new file and send that.  Copy CELLS not ROWS, otherwise ALL the data goes with it.

Hope this helps...

Gregg D. Richie, PMP, MCTS; Author, Microsoft Project 2010, Microsoft Official Academic Course Series

Sunday, March 25, 2012 10:35 PM
  • You could save to Excel with a custom map giving just the columns you want to share. This will make it easily repeatable month on month.

Steps below are for 2007:

1. File > Save As
    2. On the Save As dialogue, choose the format as "Microsoft Excel Workbook"
    3. This will start the wizard, in which you can define your map. You'll only need to define the field map the first time.

Monday, March 26, 2012 11:57 AM