Grant Access to "Document Permissions" RRS feed

• Question

• I want to create a new Permission level that is the exact same as contributors, except I need them be able to set Document permissions. I don't want them creating groups or changing access to the site, I just want to give access to edit document and folder permissions. What do I need to give them access to in the new permission level.

Berney

Monday, December 20, 2010 7:56 PM

Answers

• > You can give them Full access right only on the document library.

It always used to be that security was a structure. So your rights at the top of the structure needed to be greater or the same as your rights lower down the structure.

In other words to have full access rights to the document library you also needed to have full access rights to the levels above that i.e. to sub-sites and sites.

If I remember correctly this still applies to WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 and that in that case what happens (again if I remember correctly) is that if certain rights are granted at doc lib level they will automatically be granted for the higher up levels (in order to create a logical rights structure).

The OP should at least check this when creating such rights at doc lib level.

(In WSS 2.0 and SPS 2003 afaicr you weren't allowed to give full access rights at doc lib level if the person/group didn't have that level at site level.)

This all means that you add security at doc lib level by a) removing people granted rights higher up the structure and b) by giving people *lesser* rights than they had higher up the structure. Not (if I remember correctly) by giving them greater rights.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi ,

Giving the user the Full Access right at the document library level will automatically give him the "Limited Access" right at the top level.

If the user has a contributer right at the top level, this right will be kept and the "Full access" right will be given to him at the document library level.

Best regards, Mahmoud Challouf MCTS .NET Framework , WCF , SharePoint www.innersharepoint.blogspot.com
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:45 PM

All replies

• Hi ,

You can give them Full access right only on the document library. They will be able to edit permissions of folders and document in that library and not at the site level.

Best regards, Mahmoud Challouf MCTS .NET Framework , WCF , SharePoint www.innersharepoint.blogspot.com
    Monday, December 20, 2010 8:32 PM
  • > You can give them Full access right only on the document library.

It always used to be that security was a structure. So your rights at the top of the structure needed to be greater or the same as your rights lower down the structure.

In other words to have full access rights to the document library you also needed to have full access rights to the levels above that i.e. to sub-sites and sites.

If I remember correctly this still applies to WSS 3.0 and MOSS 2007 and that in that case what happens (again if I remember correctly) is that if certain rights are granted at doc lib level they will automatically be granted for the higher up levels (in order to create a logical rights structure).

The OP should at least check this when creating such rights at doc lib level.

(In WSS 2.0 and SPS 2003 afaicr you weren't allowed to give full access rights at doc lib level if the person/group didn't have that level at site level.)

This all means that you add security at doc lib level by a) removing people granted rights higher up the structure and b) by giving people *lesser* rights than they had higher up the structure. Not (if I remember correctly) by giving them greater rights.

SP 2010 "FAQ" (mainly useful links): http://wssv4faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    WSS3/MOSS FAQ (FAQ and Links) http://wssv3faq.mindsharp.com/default.aspx
    Both also have links to extensive book lists and to (free) on-line chapters
    Monday, December 20, 2010 9:17 PM
  • Hi ,

Giving the user the Full Access right at the document library level will automatically give him the "Limited Access" right at the top level.

If the user has a contributer right at the top level, this right will be kept and the "Full access" right will be given to him at the document library level.

Monday, December 20, 2010 9:45 PM