No sound after upgrading to Vista RRS feed

• Question

• After I upgraded to Vista from XP, my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi stops working most of the time.  It will work once in a while but only for short periods.  I can't play music or anything else with sound now. 

Also, the upgrade disc made me delete McAfee Antivirus before upgrading, but it didn't reinstall it.  Now I'm getting error boxes for Mcafee non-compatibility issues.  How do I reinstall it without buying it again (it came with my new Dell).

Monday, March 26, 2007 7:55 PM

All replies

•  dmontgomery1965 wrote:

After I upgraded to Vista from XP, my Creative Soundblaster X-Fi stops working most of the time.  It will work once in a while but only for short periods.  I can't play music or anything else with sound now. 

Go into your "Device manager'

Click on 'Sound, Video & Game controllers'

Find your soundblaster, right click on it and select uninstall (and delete)

Go to http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/ and download the vista driver.

Also, the upgrade disc made me delete McAfee Antivirus before upgrading, but it didn't reinstall it.  Now I'm getting error boxes for Mcafee non-compatibility issues.  How do I reinstall it without buying it again (it came with my new Dell).

Yes, there have been many compatibility problems with McAfee & Vista. They do have an upgrade http://us.mcafee.com/vista/ that is supposed to make ti mroe Vista friendly. try following their steps, see if it alleviates some of your McAfee-related issues

Wednesday, March 28, 2007 8:41 PM
  • I still have comapatibility issue with Vista and Mcafee, i can't seem to be able to conduct a virus scan. can anyone help here?
    Thursday, May 31, 2007 11:39 PM
  • Do not reinstall McAfee, it is not compatible with Vista. The best thing to do is completely remove it. Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, Highlight McAfee Security Center, Uninstall, Check every box, Remove, Remove. Restart. The antiviruses that are compatible with Vista are Trend Micro, Computer Associates, AVG, and LiveOneCare. You can do a google search for any of these and get a free trial. Try this for your sound. Go to Start, Control Panel, Programs and Features, Locate your Audio (usually Sigmatel or IntelSigmatel Audio), highlight it, click uninstall. Uninstall it, Restart. If still no sound Go to Start, All Programs, Dell Recovery Center, Click on Hardware, Device Driver Recovery, Sound devices, Highlight the Audio Driver, click Next. After it installs, click Finish and restart the computer. Good Luck.
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007 4:04 AM
  • I have the same problem only with the Sigma Tel HD Audio Device on my Gateway Tablet PC. I have done all I know to do; and, turned control of my computer over to Gateway for 2 hours yesterday only to have them tell me to contact Microsoft.

It happened after I allowed the Vista auto upgrade to run. When we first installed Vista, it worked fine. Now, nothing I do (even trying the XP driver) has helped. Can you?  I use (was using) this for my phone, voicemail, etc. Sad

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 4:06 PM