none
Error while deploying Software through Group policy!

Question

• Hi ,

I have recently deployed a software using group policy . Installers are stored under \\mydomain.com\SYSVOL\Scripts\XYZ.msi.

Software has been successfully deployed on few machines . But on few machines I have observed that the software was not deployed.

When I try to debug -  observed that I am receiving error saying "This installation package could not be opened" when I try to execute the msi directly from the location \\mydomain.com\SYSVOL\Scripts\XYZ.msi . But , however I am successfully able to execute the msi if is any of my domain controller's name instead of domain name - Ex: \\mydc1\SYSVOL\Scripts\XYZ.msi. Please suggest if anything wrong in my implementation. Thanks :)

Tuesday, February 02, 2016 2:16 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Please try to enable the "SYSVOL share compatibility" and check if the issue persists:

GPO location: Computer Configuration>Administrative Templates>System>Net Logon>Sysvol share compatibility

Note: This policy setting controls whether or not the SYSVOL share created by the Net Logon service on a domain controller (DC) should support compatibility in file sharing semantics with earlier applications. When this setting is enabled, the SYSVOL share will honor file sharing semantics that grant requests for exclusive read access to files on the share even when the caller has only read permission.

Besides, you could try to use another location instead of SYSVOL folder to store the .MSI files.

You receive a "This installation package could not be opened" error message when you try to install a Windows Installer-based program in Windows Server 2003 or Windows XP

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/889710

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 03, 2016 6:29 AM