Windows kernel Architecture RRS feed

• Question

• I was looking for up to date data about windows kernel architecture but most of the data I could find either was old like this Deeper into Windows Architecture or unreliable and the source of data was not verified.
    One of the good links I found was Linux And Windows Kernel Comparison presented by Marc Russinovich but the data is not good enough.

• Is the Windows Kernel Architecture officially documented by Microsoft or any reliable source?
    Friday, November 29, 2019 1:57 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Some information in the link below:

One Windows Kernel

https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Windows-Kernel-Internals/One-Windows-Kernel/ba-p/267142

The architecture of Windows operating system Layered design consist of two main components user mode and kernel mode. We may see different architectural diagrams on different websites, but the content is almost always the same. As you said Deeper into Windows Architecture was old, the contents are applicable.

kernel mode has unrestricted access to the system memory and external devices

Kernel Windows Kernel is known as hybrid kernel. The Kernel works very closely with the HAL It schedules the activities to be performed by the CPU. kernel synchronizes activity among processors to optimize performance. kernel mode stops user mode services and applications from accessing critical areas of the operating system that should not have access to.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 29, 2019 6:54 AM
  • Hello,

I would start with the Windows Internals book, for the most detailed information

7th Edition Volumes One and Two

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 5:29 PM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved?
    I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.
    Best regards,
    Carl

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, December 6, 2019 9:44 AM