Taskbar preview sometimes disappears RRS feed

• Question

• Taskbar previews are a nifty feature when they work quickly (like that do now). Sometimes, however, after using the computer for a while or something (not sure what causes it exactly), the preview thumbnail will disappear, and it will just have a solid background with the application's icon in the middle of it. In order to get a thumbnail preview again, I have to switch to that window to have the thumbnail render again. Is this normal behavior?

Thanks,
    - Eli
    Monday, August 10, 2009 9:32 PM

Answers

• This is normal and is due to the Desktop Window Manager discarding thumbnails when they become out of date, usually because the window has been minimized for a long time or some other scenario. Leaving applications restored will usually ensure you never have to deal with this problem.
    • Marked as answer by eli2k Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:47 AM

All replies

• This is normal and is due to the Desktop Window Manager discarding thumbnails when they become out of date, usually because the window has been minimized for a long time or some other scenario. Leaving applications restored will usually ensure you never have to deal with this problem.
    • Marked as answer by eli2k Tuesday, August 11, 2009 2:05 AM
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 1:47 AM
  • Going to hope Microsoft or some third party releases a patch to fix this up for an alternative behavior; I don't mind having an outdated thumbnail.
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 7:42 AM
  • I find it hard to believe that is functioning "By design". Is there a setting to keep the taskbar previews enabled?
    Monday, August 24, 2009 1:41 PM
  • A near 90% fix for this is not minimizing applications. I haven't seen any iconic application representations in forever.

If you type "Appearance" into the Start Menu you'll find the Performance options applet ("Adjust the performance and appearance of Windows"), in here there is an option labeled "Save taskbar thumbnails previews". I don't know what it does, maybe it's related to this issue?

Monday, August 24, 2009 5:43 PM