product key not working RRS feed

• Question

• I downloaded the ISO File from:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-US/evalcenter/dn205287?download=dlm3&url=http://care.dlservice.microsoft.com/dl/download/F/A/2/FA25A7B6-F552-4B25-9908-7750E8955870/9431.0.WINMAIN_BLUEMP.130615-1214_X64FRE_SERVER_EN-US-IMP_SSS_X64FRE_EN-US_DV5.ISO

I saved it successfully and I was given these product keys for Server 2012 R2 Preview

Product Keys

Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview now supports two types of activation:
    1.Datacenter Product Key:
    JGXYY-7NMTC-MHKY3-QCC9B-VQRG7
    ---->(USED THE ONE ABOVE)<-------

2.Automatic Virtual Machine Activation (AVMA) Key for Datacenter Server:
    XVNRV-9HTX4-TH2JD-HVJQD-QRQWG

This AVMA key enables license activation for virtual machines based on the license state of the virtualization server (please see this whitepaper for more information).

When I cut and pasted this into the VMWare workstation, it worked.  I could NOT get this to work on VMWare Workstation 8 as it's a VHD.  I am on a Microsoft Windows 7 SP1 Enterprise Edition x64 bit system.  I wanted to use the VHD as it was all setup, but when I tried to convert from VHD to VMDK it "broke" so I downloaded the ISO.

Do you know if there is a hash check I can use / find to see if the downloaded ISO is "good?"  I think / thought that there was / is only ONE Product Key and WHY is this not working if there is ONLY ONE?

Thank you!

Matt

Monday, July 8, 2013 11:49 AM

Answers

• I downloaded the file again on another server and copied the ISO file over to my system and then I ran into that error and clicked OK and it restarted a few times and then I got the screen to manually enter in the product key!

Quickly selected the "first" option for Server CORE WHOLY COW what a pain! Deleted it and added the GUI (Comfort)

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:25 PM

All replies

• I downloaded the file again on another server and copied the ISO file over to my system and then I ran into that error and clicked OK and it restarted a few times and then I got the screen to manually enter in the product key!

Quickly selected the "first" option for Server CORE WHOLY COW what a pain! Deleted it and added the GUI (Comfort)

Monday, July 8, 2013 1:25 PM
  • Hello folks!

I have a strange issue while trying to test Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview.

I am trying to install the R2 Preview on a HP DL380 G7 2xCPU  36GB RAM from the .ISO provided by Microsoft, but the Windows Setup can't validate the key.

I get the message "We couldn't verify the product key. Please check your installation media".

But, on another server running the standard Windows Server 2012 with Hyper-V, I am able to install Windows Server 2012 R2 Preview as a virtual machine with the same key JGXYY-7NMTC-MHKY3-QCC9B-VQRG7.  

Is there something I have missed in the prereqs stating that the R2 Preview can't run on a physical machine?

Thx!

P.J

Wednesday, September 25, 2013 2:43 PM
  • That's key for virtual machines only, not a physical machines. And with one - virtual machine will be activated automatically, if hyper-v host is activated Windows 2012 r2 datacenter edition.

Hunta

Saturday, October 12, 2013 9:03 AM