none
Project working day change in hours RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on a simple project schedule. 

Phase 1 of the project is office based and I require it to be 8hrs a day 5 days a week.

Phase 2 of the project is execution and is 24hrs day 7 days a week.

How do I carry this out on the same project page as the baseline for the project is for 24hr / 7 d working.

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:16 AM

All replies

• Elfie - you can use "Task Calendars" to schedule individual activities that observe different working time to the "Base Calendar" for a project so you could use a calendar that stipulates an 8 hour day/40 hour week on all tasks in phase 1.

The only caveat being that at present you have configured a day to be 24 hours so Project will show activities with the new calendar assigned to them taking 3 times as long as originally entered, a way to combat this might be to enter durations in hours.

If using Resources I suggest that people working on Phase 1 have a working time calendar that reflects an 8 hour day/40 hour week.

An alternative might be to have 2 separate projects that observe different base calendars - they could be included in a "Master Project" so you can observe the two together.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

Thursday, May 17, 2018 8:34 AM
  • Hi Dominic

I have changed the task calendar however the duration total for each phase does not add up correctly when entered in hrs.

Phase 1 - Standard calendar

Phase 2 - 24hr calendar

I have created a very simple project with 5 tasks per phase and they did not add up correctly when entering each task duration in hrs.

The start and the finish dates are correct but the duration total for the 24hr phase is still based on a 8hr calendar  therefore taking 3 x longer.  When I enter each duration in days then it is correct. 

If the 24hr durations  have s to be entered in days to gain the correct duration total here then this is very time consuming for the me...

FYI I use MS 2016

Tuesday, May 29, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Elfie,

In your project there will be one "Base Calendar" which establishes the operational hours for the project, you can see what this is from the Project Information dialog box available from the Project Ribbon. The change working time dialog box, also available from the Project Ribbon, will allow you to see how your "Base Calendar" is defined, hours per day and working days.

Ideally you have the settings in the File>Options>Schedule tab defined to reflect the operating hours in your "Base Calendar" - this duality of settings can sometimes be a bit confusing especially if things are not aligned correctly.

"Change Working Time" allows you to define Exceptions, for example public holidays whereas the File>Options>Schedule tab allows you to define what constitutes a working day and week in your project. All activities in your plan will observe this standard UNLESS you apply a task calendar that differs in some way (either hours worked per day or which specific days or times of the day are "working" time).

Task Calendars give you the opportunity to have "exceptions" to your normal operational rhythm - for example you might want specific activities to be performed outside of normal working hours or only on a weekend.

Your project will observe one standard, that defined by its "base calendar". Summary tasks will then calculate and display values based on these settings. What Microsoft Project cannot do is vary what the parameters are for determining summary task values - you indicate that the Summary Task start and end times are "correct" but that the duration is wrong in one case but not the other and this is going to occur in the situation you describe.

Without actually seeing an example of your plan it is difficult to provide any more detailed explanation than what I have done here. I hope my explanations make sense.

With good wishes,

Dominic

Microsoft Project Evangelist

Twitter:   LinkedIn:    Web:   

• Edited by Dominic Moss Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:39 PM typo
    • Proposed as answer by Dominic Moss Wednesday, June 13, 2018 7:56 AM
    Tuesday, May 29, 2018 3:38 PM