monitor application crashed on clients RRS feed

• Question

• I have a few clients business critical systems with an application that I want to monitor. I have installed an agent on those client and want to use the agent for detecting application failures... How can I proceed... I dont want to use AEM..
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 1:25 PM

Answers

• You need to know what happens when the application crashes.

• Stops a service with running: create a service monitor using the wizard.
    • Stops a process with running: create a process monitor using the wizard.
    • It logs an event in the eventlog: create an Alert rule that looks in the NT Eventlog for a specific record.
    • The application writes a record in a textlogfile: create an Alert rule that looks for specific phrases in a textfile you specify.

This means that it totally depends on the application and on the way you want. Choose the one it suits you the best and how the application crashes.

Success. If you have any question feel free to ask!

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:04 PM

All replies

• You need to know what happens when the application crashes.

• Stops a service with running: create a service monitor using the wizard.
    • Stops a process with running: create a process monitor using the wizard.
    • It logs an event in the eventlog: create an Alert rule that looks in the NT Eventlog for a specific record.
    • The application writes a record in a textlogfile: create an Alert rule that looks for specific phrases in a textfile you specify.

This means that it totally depends on the application and on the way you want. Choose the one it suits you the best and how the application crashes.

Success. If you have any question feel free to ask!

• Marked as answer by Dan Rogers Tuesday, January 11, 2011 4:02 PM
    Tuesday, January 11, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Well what I don't understand is that you can use AEM and a group policy to use the builtin error reporting to collect application crashes. How can u use error reporting with a scom client?

An application is no service.. An application is started and stopped so monitoring a process is hard tot tell weither it is a normal stop or not..

So I need to enter debugging mode and make it log something so that I can use this info... I still dont feel scom is the right tool then..

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 7:53 AM