locked
secondary site clients inactive RRS feed

  • Question

  • hi

    I am having issues with SCCM 2012 R2 and secondary sites going inactive. We have four secondary sites and I am having issues with two of them. Clients were rolled out succesfully on the sites but have now gone inactive. Heartbeat shows it has not contacted them recently. The clients themselves are working as i can roll out SCEP or sftware updates and they show on the clients and deploy but they still say inactive in the console. 

    I have tried removing and re-adding the management point as suggested in a few forums and the SQL logins but none of them have helped.

    Site and boundaries look correct and the logs show the clients successfully connecting to the local sites management point, but still show up as inactive, as does the site servers themselves. They are about 10% of clients on the site that are working but cannot see any difference in those.

    The other 2 secondary sites are working ok. 

    Any ideas?


    sg

    Monday, December 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Answers

  • Hi,

    I found another article relating to inventory file size. (http://be.enhansoft.com/post/2013/12/10/Change-the-Maximum-File-Size-of-Management-Information-Files-%28MIF%29-in-SCCM-2012.aspx)

    As i hadn't received inventories for the inactive machines I looked into this. I changed the max file size from 5mb to 50mb and left it overnight and now all the clients are showing as active.

    I guess the inventory was blocking the queue so it was marking the devices as inactive. This was why everything was working for deployment and updates as nothing was wrong with the machines, but I guess the inventory not being sent was marking it as inactive


    sg

    • Marked as answer by smg1966 Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:57 AM

All replies

  • Hi,

    >>secondary sites going inactive

    Have you checked site status of the inactive secondary site in the Monitoring workspace? Any error?

    You could also check Component Status to see if there is any error.

    Best Regards,

    Joyce


    We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time.
    Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

    Tuesday, December 2, 2014 5:48 AM
  • Hi,

    I found another article relating to inventory file size. (http://be.enhansoft.com/post/2013/12/10/Change-the-Maximum-File-Size-of-Management-Information-Files-%28MIF%29-in-SCCM-2012.aspx)

    As i hadn't received inventories for the inactive machines I looked into this. I changed the max file size from 5mb to 50mb and left it overnight and now all the clients are showing as active.

    I guess the inventory was blocking the queue so it was marking the devices as inactive. This was why everything was working for deployment and updates as nothing was wrong with the machines, but I guess the inventory not being sent was marking it as inactive


    sg

    • Marked as answer by smg1966 Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:57 AM
    Wednesday, December 3, 2014 7:57 AM
  • As a further update to this, 

    This inventory setting fixed one site but we still had the issue with another secondary site. We use riverbeds and it was causing issues with SMB3 (both site and primary servers are 2012 R2). The site server sends inventory files to the primary over SMB and not https so that was why the clients where showing as inactive. I found some errors in the sender log and that pointed me to look at SMB. Once the SMB3 was fixed all the clients started going active again.

    Bit crazy that SCCM shows clients as 'inactive' even though it can roll out packages to the 'inactive' site servers, run software updates and applications to the systems and apply new policies. The site was fully working except inventory and clients showing as inactive in the console

    all fixed now.


    sg

    Thursday, December 11, 2014 6:06 PM