Halo combat evolved on windows 7 RC 32 bit edition, PLEASE HELP! RRS feed

• Question

• Can someone please help me, i can not get halo: combat evolved to work on my computer, it is running windows 7 RC (build 7100) 32 bit and when i open halo i get an error message that says "We are sorry, but you need to have directX 9.0b installed to run this program. Please run halo pc setup again to install directx." I know that this program works on my vista computer with directx10, why won't it work on my windows 7 computer with directx 11?

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 6:51 AM

Answers

• I don't understand why I am getting this error, when DirectX is supposed to be backward compatible. I don't see any way to fix this, running DX9 setup just checks current version, and quits without installing anything.
    In the newest version of windows 7 (Build 7600 - The Final Release) This issue is completely fixed, And halo works with no issues and no ACT is required.

Enjoy your gaming,
    Kyle.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:47 AM

All replies

• One way to work around this issue is to install ACT5.5 and use the Compatibility Administrator. You'll need to create a compatibility fix for the Halo exe and associate it with "DirectXVersionLie" fix.

Download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24DA89E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

Be ready for Windows 7: Application Compatibility
    view 09:50 - Application Compatibility Administrator to create remediation package
    http://edge.technet.com/Media/Be-ready-for-Windows-7-Application-Compatibility/

I know it is not a one click solution, but it shouldn't take you more than 30 mins to understand and create a compatibility fix.
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 7:12 AM
  • If it works on your Vista Box with directx10 it would mostly work on Windows 7 with DirectX11 , maybe some of the directx components got corrupted during install .
    Try to uninstall and reinstall directx 11.

C# Fan!
    Thursday, July 16, 2009 8:44 AM
  • One way to work around this issue is to install ACT5.5 and use the Compatibility Administrator. You'll need to create a compatibility fix for the Halo exe and associate it with "DirectXVersionLie" fix.

Download Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit 5.5
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=24DA89E9-B581-47B0-B45E-492DD6DA2971&displaylang=en

Be ready for Windows 7: Application Compatibility
    view 09:50 - Application Compatibility Administrator to create remediation package
    http://edge.technet.com/Media/Be-ready-for-Windows-7-Application-Compatibility/

I know it is not a one click solution, but it shouldn't take you more than 30 mins to understand and create a compatibility fix.

Having not used ACT before, i am unsure of how to use the program to do anything.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Kyle
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:34 AM
  • Check out your halo disc, there should be a folder called DirectX or DxRedist.
    Open that and run the Setup file in there to update DirectX.

This Fix your problem, as I've had no issues with the orignal Halo or Halo 2

Failing that, download the latest directx from the mircosoft site.
    The PC Specs: Athlon 3500+ 1GB RAM Geforce 8600 GT (256MB) MB:ASUS A8N-VM-CSM
    • Edited by Shadeslayer45 Monday, September 21, 2009 6:56 AM Extra Information
    Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:13 AM
  • I'm actually having the exact same problem with my Halo and Windows 7 compatability, but am not sure how to use ACT properly to get the game working. Would you mind explaining in a bit more detail about how to work out the Halo compatibility? Just the basic steps, the video you linked to has a lot of information in it about testing software, and I am not sure which parts to follow just to run my Halo.

Thanks
    Friday, September 11, 2009 9:52 PM
  • I am having the exact same problem on my Laptop, using Windows 7 64-bit. I ran the latest DirectX installer to update my DirectX, but I still get the same exact error message.
    ------------------
    System Information
    ------------------
       Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7600) (7600.win7_rtm.090713-1255)
                   BIOS: Default System BIOS
              Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU     T7700  @ 2.40GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
                 Memory: 4096MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 4096MB RAM
              Page File: 2094MB used, 9998MB available
            Windows Dir: C:\Windows
        DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
       User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
     System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
        DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
         DxDiag Version: 6.01.7600.16385 64bit Unicode

I don't understand why I am getting this error, when DirectX is supposed to be backward compatible. I don't see any way to fix this, running DX9 setup just checks current version, and quits without installing anything.
    Sunday, November 1, 2009 8:39 PM
  • I don't understand why I am getting this error, when DirectX is supposed to be backward compatible. I don't see any way to fix this, running DX9 setup just checks current version, and quits without installing anything.
    In the newest version of windows 7 (Build 7600 - The Final Release) This issue is completely fixed, And halo works with no issues and no ACT is required.

Enjoy your gaming,
    Kyle.
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009 4:47 AM