event log errors RRS feed

• Question

• I got a call yesterday from some guy claiming to be from windows xp saying my computer was going to crash soon if I did not buy the fix from him (from $99 to $300 for his services)  Being wary, I did not give in and he hung up pretty quickly after that.  I stayed on the phone long enough for him to show me the errors in my event viewer--most of them say:

xerror-the date, the time, crypt 32, no category, event number, user is n/a, and computer

the description one of about 50 is failed auto update retrieval of third party root list sequence number from www.download.windowsupdate.com/msdownload/update/v3/static/trustedr/en/athrootseq.txt>with error. The specified server cannot perform the requested operation.

He went on to say that I have too many errors and it is just a matter of time before my computer crashes.--do I need to worry about this?  He said that if I do not get rid of the errors that people can get into my computer and access all my personal info.  

please help me--soon, i am very worried. 

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 7:27 PM

Answers

• It is a scam. Please carefully review the information on this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Indeed it is a scam.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS immediately hang up on ANYONE calling to say that your computer is going to crash, or that they will invalidate your copy of Windows or anything like that in any way whatsoever.  They will claim to be working for Microsoft or for "Windows" (whatever THAT means) or McAfee or whomever.  NONE of these companies will EVER call you unless you call them first on a tech support issue and then prearrange them to call.  In other words, you will know when they are calling you.

As for the idiot who called you recently, ignore him and everything he said.  You would not let someone in your house just because they said they need to look at your windows, don't let them access your computer either.  HANG UP, period.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:09 PM

All replies

• It is a scam. Please carefully review the information on this page:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/online-privacy/avoid-phone-scams.aspx
    Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:58 PM
  • Indeed it is a scam.  ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS immediately hang up on ANYONE calling to say that your computer is going to crash, or that they will invalidate your copy of Windows or anything like that in any way whatsoever.  They will claim to be working for Microsoft or for "Windows" (whatever THAT means) or McAfee or whomever.  NONE of these companies will EVER call you unless you call them first on a tech support issue and then prearrange them to call.  In other words, you will know when they are calling you.

As for the idiot who called you recently, ignore him and everything he said.  You would not let someone in your house just because they said they need to look at your windows, don't let them access your computer either.  HANG UP, period.

Please do not read this sentence. Please ignore the previous sentence.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:09 PM
  • mystifeid and kamin of ressik--thank you very much for your comments. I did indeed follow you links and I feel a bit better about things.  I look up to you for being the kind of people who are trying to help people instead of scam them. 
    Friday, November 22, 2013 3:45 PM