Problems with branch office server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i've got the main office with windows 2008 SBS, now i'm configuring a remote server branch with the included license of 2008 Std (in the premium SBS).
    On first step all go well, i was able to add the new server to SBS domain (note that the connection between 2 offices is based on 2 zyxel firewall with ipsec VPN), i was able to ping from sbs server the remote server (both ip and host name) and from 2008 std to sbs too.
    Apparentlly there are no problems, so i've installed AD domain service binary and after that i've used the dcpromo to make the remote server a RODC server.
    After that i've set the 2008 std to act as dhcp server, configured to serve as first dns the ip of sbs server and as second server its own ip. On restart something start to goes wrong, with very long time to boot.

Now i can see a lots of error on both servers.
    On SBS server i've got many 1699 error with ActiveDirectory_DomainService source which has, in details, another information about the error with code 8453 Replica access deny. While on the remote 2008 Std there are many kind of errors, but i think they are related one with each other, and are:
    • event id 1058 source GroupPolicy
    • event id 1059 source DCHP server
    • event id 2845 source ActiveDirectory_DomainService
    • and some others alerts
    The strange thing is that the ping, net view not respond well as before! In depth:

On the SBS side:
    • ping the hostname of remote server (ping \\remote-server-name) it's ok ;
    • ping the FQDN of remote server (ping \\remote-server-name.domain) it's ok ;
    • ping the ip of remote server it's ok ;
    • net view command with hostname fails with message: 'System error 121. Semaphore timeout period has expired ' (or someting similar, that's a traslation from italian message);
    • net view command with ip address of remote server complete without errors.
    On the 2008 Std side:
    • ping the hostname of sbs server (ping \\sbs-server-name) it's ok ;
    • ping the FQDN of sbs server (ping \\sbs-server-name.domain) it's ok ;
    • ping the Domain name it's ok ;
    • ping the ip of sbs server it's ok ;
    • net view command with hostname fails with message: 'System error 1726. The RPC call has failed.' (translation from italian message);
    • net view command with ip address of sbs server fails with the same above message.
    Now all these test were done with firewalls on bth server enable and disabled without differences.
    I ask your help to understand where is the problem and fix it!

Thank you very much for any help!

FABIO
    Friday, July 3, 2009 3:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It seems you’re not using the Windows Server 2008 R2 Branch Office feature. Since SBS server is your main server, it is recommended that you may initial a new thread in the SBS Newsgroup. The engineers and community members there have more experience with SBS and can help you in a more efficient way.

SBS Newsgroup
    http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.windows.server.sbs

Thanks.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Monday, July 6, 2009 10:27 AM