SharePoint 2007 - some Word 2010 files opening in "Protected View" RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We use SharePoint 2007 for our internal document storage.  Recently, one of our users started having trouble with a file opening in "Protected View."  At first we thought it might be a problem with that particular file, particularly because there were several add-ins that might be affecting it.  However, another user said that she also experienced problems with (different) files opening in Protected View.  This doesn't seem to be a consistent problem, but obviously the users are concerned about having various files telling them that the files might be corrupted.

I haven't really used 2007 before, but I'm wondering if maybe it's an issue with it interfacing with Office 2010?  Is there a good way to start trouble-shooting this?

Thanks,

Kristin

Monday, March 4, 2013 1:59 PM

Answers

• OK, it looks like I may have found a potential solution:

"In some cases when a file is opened from a network share that you believe is part of your Intranet zone it will open in Protected View and indicate on the trust bar that it originated from an Internet location. This could occur because of how your proxy is setup or because you have not indicated in your Internet Options – Local intranet setting to “automatically detect intranet network.” "

I found it in a TechNet article on Protected View:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office2010/archive/2009/08/13/protected-view-in-office-2010.aspx

I asked my users to set their intranet setting to "automatically detect intranet network"; we'll see if that does the trick.

-Kristin

Monday, March 4, 2013 4:54 PM