none
Windows 10 installed over Windows 7 Home Premium but.... RRS feed

• Question

• Hi There

After many hard and worried days of a continuous File Explorer crashing saga, I was at last able to install W10 from the ISO DVD I had. However, I did not get the freedom to do it straight away.

The laptop originally came with W7 Home Premium and then 8.1 was purchased and installed over it. So, with no where to go to resolve the File Explorer crashing issue, I had decided to install W10 finally taking advice from Steve. But it was not possible as the Laptop simply did not allow it stopping the process at the Product Key stage. MS already had the W10 'activated' though.  

I found W8.1 upgrade just a bare-bone stuff to lay over the W7. If individually installed, the W8.1 did not work as a full OS.

Therefore, I installed W7 in this 'crashed environment', and then W10 yesterday (Sunday, the 28th) following.

Now, I wanted to do a Back-up & Restore set up. But what I see in the System & Security is all that I used to see in W7. For example Backup & Restore has this: (Windows 7) whereas, it was a different display under W10 when originally installed not mentioning W7 or 8 at all.

So, please advise, how do I get rid of this W7 shadow. Thanks. 

Konnan Ramu

Monday, August 29, 2016 9:27 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

To backup and restore (Windows 7) is an feature to help you restore the files backed up from original Windows 7.

That's the designed by default, if you just mean to be this one, we cannot remove it:

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:45 AM
    Owner
  • Dear Kate

Thanks but the focus of my Question was to know: 'Why there is not one Backup & Restore for Windows 10 of its own (as it is not a mirror/ghost copy of Windows 7) as I had had until I reinstalled W10 last Sunday'. This point is not considered.

Kind Regards

Konnan Ramu

Tuesday, August 30, 2016 7:55 AM
  • Hi Konnan, 

There it is, please search Backup in Start menu, and open Backup settings, you can use the feature for Windows 10:

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, September 7, 2016 2:16 AM
    Owner
  • Thanks Kate. I followed the way you showed and clicked 'More Options' as well as 'Go to Back up...' links but couldn't find anything specific to select the feature for Windows 10, sorry.

If you have more details on this, please advise. Nevertheless, I'm not too keen on this as the PC still runs with W10. The only reason I asked was the previous status that was clearly only W10. I think, this was due to the upgrade to W8.1 and that gave way fully to W10. 

Kind Regards

Konnan Ramu

Saturday, September 10, 2016 6:30 AM
  • Since you didn't bother to create a system image to a totally separate hard drive before forcing the win-10 upgrade you'd most likely have to clean install either win-7 or 8-8.1

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/technology-science/microsoft/67-microsoft-windows-iso-download-tool

You could try this but any system restore made by win-10 would be inferior and many bugs even if it managed to somewhat work 

https://neosmart.net/blog/2016/fast-free-and-simple-windows-10-uninstall-utility/

Saturday, September 10, 2016 2:00 PM
  • TharshZone, thanks for your piece of advice. But I think you did not know where all these stuff started from. The File/Windows Explorer was crashing leaving me with only one option - to browse. So, it was impossible even to think a System image!

Kind Regards

Konnan Ramu

Sunday, September 11, 2016 1:13 AM