Unable to customized desktop!! RRS feed

• Question

•  

I've been using the Windows Vista Home Basic for a while. All of a sudden i've lost my ability to customize my desktop. If i try to change the background, theme, ect... i receive a message to contact the system administrator because the option is disabled. This is displayed when i'm on the administrator account and i never disabled this option. I checked in the ease of access menu to see if the disable background images tick was marked, it wasn't. Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appriciated.

Corey G.

Saturday, October 20, 2007 10:27 PM

All replies

• A customer of mine is having the same problem.  I have tried everything to get it to work.  It's the same situation.  She's logged in as administrator, but when we try to change the background it says:  This feature has been disabled.  Contact your system administrator.  How frustrating!!!! 

Someone please post a solution!!!

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:04 PM
  • I figured out a solution. The initial problem was caused by a virus, something that snached my internet homepage and threw a bunch of little P.I.A. spyware into my system. I had to download a free malware monitor called xoft spy bot, that got rid of the bug allowing me to access administrator options. Then i downloaded a program from www.prevx.com ( a really helpful program i must add ). The program from prevx allowed me to restore all functions including my background customization. I still have a few bugs to work out with compatibility with Windows Vista, but thus far i've had no other serious issues and can now customize my background. I believe that the prevx program is free for the first scan and fix, if that doesn't work try looking up adaware through google.. it's another free malware fixer that is spyware safe and restores Windows desktop functions while removing any misfit spyware. I hope this helps you as it helped me.

Saturday, November 10, 2007 4:01 AM
  • A systems restore will also solve this problem.

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:02 AM
  • Afaik there are 2 things you can do:
    1. Use system restore and back it up    Or
    2. Reinstall  Vista home basic because any  you dont get help from any program youll install. Why? because of the fact that every program is based on a uncool rule, i mean youll have youre background back and task manager and... but after removing the program from youre computer youre problem will come back.
    And also use a good firewall/antivirus program.
    Friday, November 16, 2007 1:08 PM
  • whats the name of the prevx.com program you downloaded?

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 1:23 AM
  • I have several users that use 1 pc.  1 of the users can not change his desktop picture.  It comes up with lines across the screen.  The other users on the pc are fine and can change their desktops, the only one who is unable to is him.  When you right click on the desktop and click on properties everytthing is there except the desktop tab.  All settings look correct.  The user did download spyware however I removed the program and shut down and rebooted and it still has not reverted back.  Any suggestions?

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:30 PM
  • No a system restore will not solve this problem!!! I can't even do a system restore past the date and time that someone/thing took over my computer! I downloaded a pc cleaner that tells me I have an absolute key logger, but it doesn't seem to be able to remove it. Noticed today that the pc cleaner had been uninstalled and "I" didn't uninstall it!

Wednesday, May 7, 2008 6:25 PM