none
Unable to remove Public Folder Database on Exchange 2007 after migration to Exchange 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• We have recently installed an Exchange 2013 and successfully moved all users and Public Folder data to that server from our Exchange 2007. However, uninstalling the Exchange 2007 server is a little troublesome as we are unable to remove the Public Folder Database. Regardless of if this is done via EMC or PowerShell, it ends with the following error: "Object is read only because it was created by a future version of Exchange: 0.10 (14.0.100.0). Current supported version is 0.1 (8.0.535.0)."

I've been googling around and others seem to have experienced the same issues while migrating to Exch2010. In those cases the problem was solved by running the remove CMDlet on the new Exchange 2010 server, but that is not applicable here as that CMDlet doesn't exist in Exchange 2013.

Anyone else run into this issue or have any thoughts about how to proceed?

Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:05 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    I wonder if anybody has been able to remote the public folder database the supported way. I really don't think so.

I had the same problem (see the thread here) and ended up deleting the database in ADSIEdit and was not happy about that.

Martina Miskovic

• Marked as answer by Mike Guardian Friday, July 5, 2013 10:36 AM
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:22 AM
  • I would say use ADSI edit tool to delete the public folder database.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Open ADSI-Edit and got to configuration

Navigate to this path:

CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL
    CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=EXCHANGE_ORG
    CN=Administrative Groups
    CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    CN=Databases
    CN=PUBLIC_FOLDER_DATABASE

Now you can delete the PF-Database you want to get rid off.

source: http://blog.dargel.at/2012/01/19/remove-public-folder-using-adsiedit/

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:44 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    I wonder if anybody has been able to remote the public folder database the supported way. I really don't think so.

I had the same problem (see the thread here) and ended up deleting the database in ADSIEdit and was not happy about that.

Martina Miskovic

Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:22 AM
  • I would say use ADSI edit tool to delete the public folder database.
    Thursday, July 4, 2013 11:34 AM
  • Open ADSI-Edit and got to configuration

Navigate to this path:

CN=Configuration,DC=DOMAIN,DC=LOCAL
    CN=Services
    CN=Microsoft Exchange
    CN=EXCHANGE_ORG
    CN=Administrative Groups
    CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)
    CN=Databases
    CN=PUBLIC_FOLDER_DATABASE

Now you can delete the PF-Database you want to get rid off.

source: http://blog.dargel.at/2012/01/19/remove-public-folder-using-adsiedit/

Thursday, July 4, 2013 1:44 PM
  • Managing Public Folders has to be one of the more complicated Exchange migration tasks there is. I'm glad to see that with E2K13, Public Folders are now part of the mailbox database - no separate PF database to manage or move!

In a similar (but not identical) situation, I was able to remove a PF database without using ADSIEdit. I don't know if removing whatever Ed and Rich were having me remove in this post would help or not here (so just FYI and FWIW):

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/a9986a8c-5ba5-45ac-9ef5-3e09fef5ef41/removing-public-folder-replicas-e2k7-to-e2k10-migration

Please mark as helpful if you find my contribution useful or as an answer if it does answer your question. That will encourage me - and others - to take time out to help you.

Thursday, July 4, 2013 4:00 PM
  • I ended up going the ADSIEdit way and then ran the uninstallation. It feels dirty, but I guess I'll just have to live with it :)

Thanks everyone for your support!

Friday, July 5, 2013 10:37 AM
  • Noticed now in the Exchange 2013 Event Logs that we're getting quite a few of these warnings:

"Process <Select one exchange releated process>.exe (PID=<whatever>). Object [CN=Public Folder Database,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=Contoso,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=contoso,DC=local]. Property [PublicFolderDatabase] is set to value [contoso.local/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Public Folder Database
    DEL:ca62a715-05b2-4b08-ae0f-7f7c4b7e4cc3], it is pointing to the Deleted Objects container in Active Directory. This property should be fixed as soon as possible."

If i take a look at that mailbox database it's obvious that it's pointing towards the old Public Folder Database, which is quite interesting as Exchange 2013 isn't supposed to used that value at all (according to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123971(v=exchg.150).aspx):

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-MailboxDatabase -Identity "Mailbox database" | fl
    PublicFolderDatabase                         : contoso.local/Configuration/Deleted Objects/Public Folder Database
                                                                    DEL:ca62a715-05b2-4b08-ae0f-7f7c4b7e4cc3

I'm assuming this is what happens when messing around with ADSIEdit :) So, further ADSIEdits to set that value to null on the existing Mailboxdatabases, or anyone have any other suggestions?

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:43 PM
  • I got the exact same errors and cleared the value as you are planning to.
    After that, no more errors.

Martina Miskovic

Friday, July 5, 2013 3:46 PM
  • Still no official ways to do this?

The exchange 2013 shell has no remove-publicfolderdatabase cmdlet anyways :/. Running CU3.

Don't really enjoy the adsiedit way - IIRC I also need to restart information store for that. Albeit quite quickly there's bound to be outlook clients around giving warnings/errors/prompting for passwords due to that.

Tuesday, February 25, 2014 10:58 AM
  • Hi,

I have found a way to remove the unwanted Public Folder database in 2007 without using ADSI Edit or migrating the publicfolders.

After you have removed all public folders and system folders using (from exch2007):-

Get-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME "\Non_Ipm_Subtree" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME -Recurse  -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

and:-

Get-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME "\" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME -Recurse  -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

Use this command:-

Get-OrganizationConfig | Set-OrganizationConfig -PublicFolderMigrationComplete $True

Ignore the warning (As the name has been changed by Exchange 2013)

Then remove the database from the exchange 2007 gui without problems :-)

• Proposed as answer by puckstop Thursday, July 30, 2015 10:58 PM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:21 PM
  • Hi,

I have found a way to remove the unwanted Public Folder database in 2007 without using ADSI Edit or migrating the publicfolders.

After you have removed all public folders and system folders using (from exch2007):-

Get-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME "\Non_Ipm_Subtree" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME -Recurse  -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

and:-

Get-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME "\" -Recurse -ResultSize:Unlimited | Remove-PublicFolder -Server SERVERNAME -Recurse  -ErrorAction:SilentlyContinue

Use this command:-

Get-OrganizationConfig | Set-OrganizationConfig -PublicFolderMigrationComplete $True

Ignore the warning (As the name has been changed by Exchange 2013)

Then remove the database from the exchange 2007 gui without problems :-)

• Proposed as answer by rclerkin Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:17 PM
    Tuesday, November 4, 2014 2:57 PM
  • I've just completed an uninstall of Exchange 2007 from a mixed mode environment with 2013.

I've used David's method from above and it seems to have gone smoothly. The Public Folder Database is not listed in ADSI Edit, only the Exch 2013 databases, and there were no complaints from the uninstaller.

I am getting EventID 2937, which occurs irregularly, about the PublicFolderDatabase property of the Exch 2013 pointing to the Deleted Objects Container in AD.

I used the following powershell command to confirm the setting

Get-MailboxDatabase | fl name,PublicFolderDatabase
    I've tried updating the property using the Set-MailboxDatabase cmdlet but it won't allow a null or empty value.

Trying to enter a string with just a space, i.e. " ", gives an error that the public folder database couldn't be found.

It looks like the property will have to be updated for each database through ADSI Edit.
    I've changed the property named "msExchHomePublicMDB" in 

CN=<MBX_DB>,CN=Databases,CN=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT),CN=Administrative Groups,CN=<Org_Name>,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=<domain>,DC=<top_level>
    as it's the only property of the Exch 2013 databases that I could find mentioning the Public Database through ADSI Edit.
    Thursday, November 6, 2014 3:17 PM
  • omg I have battled with this pf for ever now your solution certainly working. Thank you much David ;-)

Yours Truly Online, Uli the Maui Tech Guru Helping people with computers in Maui Hawaii.

Thursday, June 18, 2015 8:01 AM
  • Known issue with Microsoft.

Install Update Rollup 11 for Exchange Server 2007 SP3

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2852663

Friday, June 26, 2015 3:14 PM
  • Running just:

Set-OrganizationConfig -PublicFolderMigrationComplete $True

in Exchange 2007 Exchange PowerShell allowed me to remove the public folder database from Exchange 2007 Management Console.

No need to mess with ADSI Edit, or Remove-PublicFolder.

Apparently I failed to perform this step; after performing Exchange 2007 PF Migration to Exchange 2013.

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 7:03 PM
  • I'm having the same problem. After reading the previous post, I verified that I indeed have the PublicFolderMigrationComplete value set to False.  I'll run the command to change it to $True and hopefully i'll be able to remove the Public Folder.

[PS] C:\Windows\system32>Get-OrganizationConfig | ft publicFolderMi*
    WARNING: Display Name of the Exchange Recipient object should be Microsoft
    Exchange. Run Set-OrganizationConfig with no parameters to correct the Display
    Name value.

PublicFolderMigrationComplete
                                                      -----------------------------
                                                                              False

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:28 PM
  • That did it. My uninstall moved right through past the Public Folder replica error and totally uninstalled Exchange 2007. I am running CU12 on Exchange 2007.

Friday, January 22, 2016 2:36 PM
  • You legend!
    Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:23 PM
  • This (David's suggestion) worked for me.

After much searching and advice about using ADSI edit, I tried David's suggestion. I was able to delete the old public folder database on EX2007 and then successfully set up the new public folders on EX2013. I didn't go down the official migration route, and used third party software to move the public folders using a copy of the Public Folders.edb

Friday, March 10, 2017 12:21 PM
  • try running

Get-PublicFolderDatabase -Server <ServerName> | Remove-PublicFolderDatabase

from powershell on the new mail server.  be sure to enter the old server name in the <servername> placeholder. 

Saturday, December 30, 2017 8:07 AM
  • After Migrating to Exchange 2013 I was also unable to uninstall Exchange 2007

Running the suggested command:

Set-OrganizationConfig -PublicFolderMigrationComplete $True

Afterwards I was able to remove the public folder database and fully uninstall Exchange 2007

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 8:51 PM