Import Hotfix to WSUS Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a requirement to install the below Hotfix to some servers.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/981845

Now, I understand that we cannot automatically synchronize Hotfixes (unlike normal updates) to WSUS and we have to import the Hotfix from Microsoft update catalog. Now the issue is when I am searching the KB number - KB981845 in MS update catalog, I am not getting any results.

I have assumed the KB number as KB981845 from the headers n the URL although it wasn't explicitly mentioned in the article. Can someone help me by pointing out what exactly am I missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Curious_Techie,

Generally, the number in the URL is actually the KB number. And I get the same result with you that searching the KB number in Microsoft Catalog can't find the hotfix.

As far as I'm concerned, it is charged by Microsoft that do not publish the hotfix in Microsoft Catalog, and we need to install it on specific computers one by one.

As the notification in the email (Microsoft send hotfix to our emails), the hotfix has not undergone full testing, therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers experiencing the exact same problem.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:39 AM

All replies

• Hi Curious_Techie,

Generally, the number in the URL is actually the KB number. And I get the same result with you that searching the KB number in Microsoft Catalog can't find the hotfix.

As far as I'm concerned, it is charged by Microsoft that do not publish the hotfix in Microsoft Catalog, and we need to install it on specific computers one by one.

As the notification in the email (Microsoft send hotfix to our emails), the hotfix has not undergone full testing, therefore, it is intended only for systems or computers experiencing the exact same problem.

Best Regards,

Anne

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 7:39 AM
  • Thank You Anne,

So I am assuming there is no way to push this hotfix via WSUS and we have to install it one by one on individual servers, which would be a manual until we device a script to do the job.

Best Regards,

Saturday, April 23, 2016 8:18 AM
  • Hi Curious_Techie,

I think so. And it is not recommended to deploy hotfixes via WSUS.

Best Regards,

Anne

Monday, April 25, 2016 1:37 AM