SharePoint 2010 List Create Folder of Same Name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a request saying that the users wants create Folder with Same Name.

Eg: If I create a Folder with Name "Event", and another user also wants create Folder with same Name  "Event".

But when created folders with same name,it shows an exception "A folder or file with name "Event" alreadyexists"

Is this functionality allowed in sharepoint?

Thanks

• Edited by ME_77 Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:48 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 8:47 AM

Answers

• Hi Meenakshi

As new folders have same name so it will not allow you add that new folder to SharePoint.

What you can do is for each users create a folder with there unique id(name,id) so that they can upload documents to their respective folders

Amit Kotha

• Marked as answer by ME_77 Thursday, February 26, 2015 10:26 AM
    Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:11 AM
  • The Document Library behaves in a same way as windows explorer. We cannot have same named folders/files at a given hierarchy. But we can have folders with same name in different hierarchies.  

Blog | SharePoint Learnings CodePlex Tools | Export Version History To Excel | Autocomplete Lookup Field

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Meenakshi

As new folders have same name so it will not allow you add that new folder to SharePoint.

What you can do is for each users create a folder with there unique id(name,id) so that they can upload documents to their respective folders

Amit Kotha

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:11 AM
  • The Document Library behaves in a same way as windows explorer. We cannot have same named folders/files at a given hierarchy. But we can have folders with same name in different hierarchies.  

Blog | SharePoint Learnings CodePlex Tools | Export Version History To Excel | Autocomplete Lookup Field

Thursday, February 26, 2015 9:25 AM