Imprecise error messaage RRS feed

• Question

• Windows 10 Pro, supposedly up to date, Outlook 2010

System was working fine.  C drive 1 TByte, F drive 1 TByte.  Formatted two new SATA hard drives, renamed F drive to A drive.  Rebooted and started Outlook.  The PST file is on the now A drive.  Used the prompts to find the PST file again and restarted Outlook.  It found the file but on start presented this error.

Rebooted the computer and tried again, same presentation.

Ok.  Hello Patient Outlook.  What seems to be ailing you?  Hmm, you cannot access a file.  Does that mean you cannot find it or for some reason you cannot open it?  We need some clarity here.

What file cannot be accessed?  I need a name.  In order to help you, I must have a name. 

Can anyone help Outlook tell me how I might determine what (s)he needs in order to work properly?

Edit:  I originally posted this in the wrong location.  There, someone stated that drive letters A and B are generally reserved for floppies and recommended that I change the hard drive designator from A to something else.  So I changed it to D, followed the prompts, found the PST file, selected it, restarted Outlook, same problem.

After restarting Outlook and finding the error again, I restarted the computer.  During the shutdown/restart process is displays a blue screen with white text saying something had gone wrong and it was collecting data to send.  Then it completed the reboot process.  So far each time I change a drive designator and try to change Outlook I get that same crash message.  About three times so far.

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010)

• Edited by JAG77 Sunday, June 4, 2017 7:48 PM removed outdated info
    Sunday, June 4, 2017 6:27 PM

Answers

• it can't fnd the data file used for the specified email account. This is a pop3 account? Go to File, Account settings, select the account and click Change folder button - select the inbox in the data file. Or create a new profile and add the existing pst to it as you create the profile. 

Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook]
    Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center
    Outlook Tips
    Subscribe to Exchange Messaging Outlook weekly newsletter

• Marked as answer by JAG77 Monday, June 5, 2017 1:26 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 12:54 AM

All replies

• it can't fnd the data file used for the specified email account. This is a pop3 account? Go to File, Account settings, select the account and click Change folder button - select the inbox in the data file. Or create a new profile and add the existing pst to it as you create the profile. 

Outlook Tips

• Marked as answer by JAG77 Monday, June 5, 2017 1:26 AM
    Monday, June 5, 2017 12:54 AM
  • I created a new personal directory on the C drive and got Outlooked started there.  Next I will import the old data.

So I am giving up on that concept of keeping the pst file on a data disk.  The C drive is a terabyte drive with 94 G used and 863 free.

However, I directed Outlook to the exact pst file that it was using before I changed the name.  That error messsage shown above is flat out insufficient for the reasons noted.  It should state explicitly the name of the file it is looking for.  If there is something wrong with the file, state explicitly what is wrong with it.

Do you, or anyone, think Microsoft is aware of this or gives a rat's patooey about it?  This is the type error message that, if significantly improved, would make Windows much easier to deal with.

Thanks for your answer.  I'll mark it as such.

~jag77 We need to know what a dragon is before we study its anatomy. (Bryan Kelly, 2010)

Monday, June 5, 2017 1:26 AM
  • It will work on the Data drive - if you use auto account setup to add the account, right after adding the account, click the Manually configure option and tell outlook to use the old data file. If you use manual setup to add the account, you can choose it at the time you add the account. 

FWIW, its generally better to use an existing pst file than to import - import won't include custom views and other data hidden in the file. 

Outlook Tips

Monday, June 5, 2017 2:43 AM