none
Device Guard/DMA Protection in Win10 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I want to test Device Guard Enable & DMA Protection feature on my NB, but I always got Blue screen on below test case.

Anyone know what's happened on my steps?

I already confirmed my BIOS/HW support Device Guard and DMA Protection before test.

1. Clean install Win10 OS.

2. Confirm Kernel DMA Protection is ON. 

3. Enable Device Guard.

4. Intel Graphic driver will Blue screen on this time.

should I install all device driver before enable Device Guard?

or there's no impact for enable Device Guard before driver installed? or just driver issue?

Tuesday, April 2, 2019 10:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Would you provide the check blue screen error code and error message? What is the windows version?

About the "BIOS/HW support Device Guard", do you mean the hardware readiness tool below:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53337

If the issue occurs after trying it, from known issues with Device Guard, Virtualization-based protection of code integrity may be incompatible with some devices and applications, which might cause blue screen error.

As a workaround, download the MSI file and run it locally:

msiexec i c:\temp\Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX.msi

More information please refer to the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/test/hlk/testref/driver-compatibility-with-device-guard

Hope these can help you. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 8:17 AM
  • Hi Farena,

Thanks for your information. I still have some questions and more details as below(at >>) ,

Would you provide the check blue screen error code and error message?  

>>We got blue screen stop code 0x116, VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. after installing Intel Graphic driver.

What is the windows version?

>> 17763.17 (RS5) (1809)

About the "BIOS/HW support Device Guard", do you mean the hardware readiness tool below:

>> Yes, I checked my NB is supported DG/HVCI by this tool. there's no error report from script.

As a workaround, download the MSI file and run it locally:

msiexec i c:\temp\Windows10_Version_1511_ADMX.msi

>> it works on RS5 also? it looks like for old windows 10 version (1511)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For Kernel DMA Protection, I read this article Kernel DMA Protection for Thunderbolt™ 3

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security/information-protection/kernel-dma-protection-for-thunderbolt 

I want to know it's for PCIE device (Thunderbolt dock) only?

should I check "Kernel DMA Protection" is ON from Msinfo32 before Device Guard/HVCI enabled?

or we don't need to check it, just verified compatibility by tool.

Wednesday, April 3, 2019 11:00 AM
  • Hi,

Before going further, try to fix video TDR failure, please refer to the link below:

https://zillowtech.com/video-tdr-failure-windows-10.html#

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:18 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If yes, would you like to share your solution in order that other community members could find the helpful reply quickly.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019 3:02 AM
  • Hi,

Any update? Please let us know if you need more help.

Friday, April 19, 2019 6:20 AM