Winload.exe missing or corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• I was installing updates on my computer (it has vista).  I restarted the computer as I should, and now it comes up with the error "winload.exe is missing or corrupt".  I tried starting with a vista disk, but it would not recognize the disk.  I can not get into the command prompt or start the computer in safe mode .  I could not think of anything I can do to fix this ... anyone got any ideas?
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 4:33 PM

Answers

• Hello Viplav,

First of all, enter BIOS and set CD/DVD-ROM as the first boot sequence. If we are still unable to boot from the Vista disk, the issue is most likely caused by the corruption of the setup CD or the DVD-ROM hardware device; you might test the situation on another computer. If the disk caused the problem, feel free to order a replacement CD first; otherwise, you should replace the DVD-ROM with a new one.

After we can boot from Windows Vista CD, please perform the following steps to narrow down the problem.

Chkdsk disk error

1. Put the Windows Vista installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …" appears.

3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next

6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt

7. Copy and paste "chkdsk /F C:" (without quotation marks) and click Enter.

8. Restart the computer and have a test.

Startup Repair from the Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE)

1. Insert the Windows Vista installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 

2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.

3. Select a language, a time and currency, and a keyboard or input method, and then click Next

4. Click Repair your computer

5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next

6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click on Repair your computer.

7. (Click the operating system that you want to repair), and then click Next.

8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Good Luck~!

Andy

• Marked as answer by Andy Song Wednesday, August 5, 2009 7:22 AM
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 9:56 AM