none
Migratedatasourcedatafromdpm - Invalid input parameter speci fied At line:1 char:35 RRS feed

• Question

• I've done this in the past, but now have been having difficulty with this power shell script.

Can someone assist?

I use this Get-DPMDisk and have the following output

NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  8      2048 GB      2048 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  7      2048 GB       809 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  6      2048 GB       630 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  5         1 GB         0 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  9      2048 GB       322 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  4      2048 GB       517 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  3         1 GB         0 GB Dynamic
    VMware Vir... Healthy                  1      2048 GB       624 GB Dynamic

I'm moving data from disk 7 NT disk 1 to disk 0 NT disk 8

My command is the following but doesn't work :(

migratadatasourcefromdpm -dpmservername xxx -Source $disk7 -Destination $disk0

Error   Invalid input parameter specified At line:1 char:35

Now what?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:59 PM

Answers

• I figured it out on my own.

When this happens, migrate the DS to the new destination.

Then run  DPMSYNC -reallocatereplica

Remove the drive and run the above again

Then run a consistency check on the protection group  Problem solved

• Marked as answer by livingbeyond Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:29 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:29 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Minor correction to your command to state the element number in brackets [].

migratadatasourcefromdpm -dpmservername xxx -Source $disk[7] -Destination $disk[0]

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 5:31 PM
  • Tried that before  

./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName xxx -Source $disk[7] -Destination $disk[0]
    Cannot index into a null array.
    At line:1 char:80
    + ./MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName xxx -Source $disk[ <<<< 7] -Destination $disk[0]
        + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (7:Int32) [], RuntimeException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NullArray

PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin>

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:10 PM
  • Hi,

$disk = Get-DPMDisk -dpmservername XXX
    $disk
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName xxx -Source $disk[X] -Destination $disk[Y]

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:29 PM
  • I ran the above and was prompted this

PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk = Get-DPMDisk -dpmservername xxx

?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 6:55 PM
  • $disk = Get-DPMDisk -dpmservername XXX   (This command gets the DPMdisks from dpmserver and places them in an array variable called $disk)
    $disk         (this displays the contents of the $disk array variable so you can select the proper element)
    MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1 -DPMServerName xxx -Source $disk[X] -Destination $disk[Y]  (this does the migration after replacing X and Y with array element number output of the $disk in line 2) 

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:06 PM
  • PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk = Get-DPMDisk -dpmservername xxx
    PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> ./MigrateDataSourceDatafromdpm -dpmservername xxx -Source $disk[7] -Destination $disk[0]
    Set-ProtectionGroup : The allocation of disk space for storage pool volumes failed because there is not enough unallocated disk space in the storage pool. (ID: 358)
    Add more disks to the storage pool or reduce the volume size requirement.
    At E:\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108 char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 358,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroupRemove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it contains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At E:\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110 char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.   Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk
    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:12 PM
  • looks like some moved, but not everything.  Now I need to move the remaining.  how do I move the other volumes?

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:16 PM
  • Hi,

Choose a different destination disk.

FYI - this script will help you detemine how much space is required to migrate a "single" disk. 

http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2010/06/05/space-needed-to-migrate-a-disk.aspx

Since some disks may hold one or more parts of the same datasource, the space required to migrate the whole data source is counted on each member disk, so that is why it's only useful for calculating a singe disk migration.  If you have multiple disks to migrate, You can run it again after each individual migration is completed.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:23 PM
  • I don't have another disk.

Now I need to move partitions around

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:37 PM
  • I'm showing that you have lots of free space on other disks to use as destination.

NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  8      2048 GB      2048 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  7      2048 GB       809 GB Dynamic  <-- $disk[1].
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  6      2048 GB       630 GB Dynamic <-- $disk[2].
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  9      2048 GB       322 GB Dynamic  <-- $disk[4].
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  4      2048 GB       517 GB Dynamic  <-- $disk[5].

MigrateDataSourceDatafromdpm -dpmservername xxx -Source $disk[7] -Destination $newdisk=@($disk[1],disk[2],disk[4],$disk[5])

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:42 PM
  • Here is what I have now after running the command...

PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk -dpmservername xxx | ft

Name          Status            NtDiskId Total Capaci Unallocated  Type
                                                       ty        Space
    ----          ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  8      2048 GB      1028 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  7      2048 GB       745 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  6      2048 GB       540 GB Dynamic

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 7:45 PM
  • I think I found the issue.   If a volume is in an inconsistent state, will it have a problem with the move task?

If so, is there away to continue with the others, as a consistency checks takes a long time.

Tuesday, January 8, 2013 8:25 PM
  • That doesn't seem to be the issue either. 

The command you helped me with moved some data but left some behind.  With that there is still plenty of free space but I get an error. Below are the steps taken.

PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> get-dpmdisk -dpmservername xxx

Name          Status            NtDiskId Total Capacity Unallocated Space  Type
    ----               ------            -------- ------------ ------------ ----
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  8      2048 GB      1028 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  7      2048 GB       745 GB Dynamic
    NETAPP LUN... Healthy                  6      2048 GB       561 GB Dynamic

PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> $disk = Get-DPMDisk -dpmservername xxx
    PS E:\DPM\DPM\bin> ./MigrateDataSourceDatafromdpm -dpmservername xxx -Source $disk[7] -Destination $disk[0]
    Set-ProtectionGroup : The allocation of disk space for storage pool volumes failed because there is not enough unallocated disk space in the storage pool. (ID: 358)
    Add more disks to the storage pool or reduce the volume size requirement.
    At E:\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:108 char:22
    +         Set-ProtectionGroup <<<<  $mpg    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Set-ProtectionGroup], DlsException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 358,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.
       Cmdlet.ProtectionCmdLets.CommitProtectionGroup
    Remove-DPMDisk : Disk 1 cannot be removed from the storage pool because it cont
    ains storage pool volumes. (ID: 355)
    At E:\DPM\DPM\bin\MigrateDatasourceDataFromDPM.ps1:110 char:16
    +     Remove-DPMDisk <<<<  $Source
        + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:) [Remove-DPMDisk], InvalidDiskException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : 355,Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.U.Cmdlet.RemoveDPMDisk

Can you assist or offer some information as to what is missing?

Wednesday, January 9, 2013 1:26 PM
  • I figured it out on my own.

When this happens, migrate the DS to the new destination.

Then run  DPMSYNC -reallocatereplica

Remove the drive and run the above again

Then run a consistency check on the protection group  Problem solved

• Marked as answer by livingbeyond Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:29 PM
    Thursday, January 10, 2013 7:29 PM