none
Window 2008 Server R2 (Video Output Server) Experiancing Local PC Time Drift from Domain Controller

Question

• All,

I'm a broadcast support engineer and have run into an issue I could really use some help with. I currently have a Supermicro server running Windows server 2008 r2 that is used as a video playout server for broadcast television. It has been reported that the following output appliance has been experiencing slight time drift (1 to 5 sec's) from the systems Domain Controller. While it doesn't seem like it, this is a MAJOR issue as the Graphics System running on this playout server utilizes the local PC clock and NOT the NTP Controlled system time via the Domain Controller or my companies service called the "Time Service". Anyways, due to this drift graphics are NOT clearing /hitting air at the right times resulting in air affecting issues. The time drifts a few seconds either direction, then will snap back to the correct time displayed by the domain every few minutes.

I have since ran an "Energy-Report.html" via command prompt which said it checked the CMOS battery which is fine, however should I manually check it with a voltage meter? The servers Windows Time Service is properly connected to the Domain Controller, as you can see the time correct itself every once in a while. Furthermore, no changes to the system have taken place and it seem like this issue came out of no where.

Anyways, I'm really backed up against a wall here and could use come help with ideas on what the heck else to check. Thanks again, Jeff

Friday, March 3, 2017 6:16 PM

All replies

• Maybe this one helps.

High Accuracy W32time Requirements

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Saturday, March 4, 2017 3:25 AM
  • Jeff,

that's not unexpected - Windows Time Service does not guarantee the degree of accuracy that you are looking for. You would need to look into alternatives. For some other options, refer to http://serverfault.com/questions/279837/how-to-sync-time-across-windows-servers-to-the-millisecond-precision

hth
    Marcin

Saturday, March 4, 2017 7:44 AM
  • Marcin is right.... the guarantee provided by the windows time service is not in the seconds or millseconds.... Unless you have a way of pointing to directly the GPS devices like some applications need to, and also settings certain values which poll and sync consistently there is no go.

Also this is fun to read, there are some nice features with windows server 2016 and time

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-docs/identity/ad-ds/get-started/windows-time-service/windows-2016-accurate-time

Monday, March 6, 2017 1:20 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. And if the replies as above are helpful, we would appreciate you to mark them as answers, please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Friday, March 10, 2017 8:14 AM