XP Mode and HID USB device RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all, I realize this has been covered before but I am wondering if there is or will be an update of XP Mode to allow the use of HID USB devices? For Microsoft to simply say "it is not supported" without a plan to add support for these devices is ridiculous. The benefit of XP mode was supposed to be that it will allow users to run their older programs and devices properly in XP mode while still being able to upgrade to Windows 7.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit with XP mode installed. I ABSOLUTELY MUST be able to use the Siemens USB PPI cable to program the S7-200 PLC. This cable is nothing more than a USB to RS-485 converter but because it falls under the HID class of devices, I am up a creek. There are many more HID devices besides a keyboard and mouse that fall under the HID class and these are all being excluded from XP mode for some reason. Does MS really want their customers to go with Oracle or VMWare for their virtual box needs?

I see a number of responses simply saying it is not supported with no explanation. Why does Virtual PC not allow redirection of HID devices???

Brian

Tuesday, May 10, 2011 3:13 AM

Answers

• Xp mode was designed to allow the use of older programs.

Nowhere, that I am aware of, did it say it would allow use of older devices.

It is also provided at no cost, including a license for XP.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, May 23, 2011 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:54 PM

All replies

• You would have a better chance of getting replies if you post in the correct forum.  You need to post this in the Virtual PC and XP Mode forum @ http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprovirt/threads
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 7:23 PM
  • Xp mode was designed to allow the use of older programs.

Nowhere, that I am aware of, did it say it would allow use of older devices.

It is also provided at no cost, including a license for XP.

• Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, May 23, 2011 2:15 AM
    Tuesday, May 10, 2011 8:54 PM