none
Windows 7 MUI, French and Dutch - Installing custom wim file using bootable USB. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I`m in the process of creating a single master image for devices in France and Netherlands, I`ve installed all the relevant applications, software and MUI language packs and syspreped and captured the image. The problem is when I attempt to install Windows 7 from the bootable USB it only provides English as the language to install. How do I change this so it allows me to install French and Dutch from the USB?

When I double click the setup.exe file from an existing Windows 7 installation it provides me with the option to install English, French and Dutch but not when I boot from USB. 

Any advice would be hugely appreciated. 
    Thank you,

Scott Evans

Thursday, October 2, 2014 11:47 AM

Answers

• Scott, my name is Rens not Rene ;)

Now applying operating systems with DISM to your machine, can only be done by accompanying the OS with an answer file, like unattended.xml. Have you ever opened a unattended.xml? Since the properties and values we set with MDT in the CustomSettings.ini are partially intended for and merged with a generated unattended.xml file which is being generated when you create a new task sequence within MDT.

Now how would you accomplish the things you want to accomplish other then using either DISM with the unattended.xml, WDS with the unattended.xml or MDT with the unattended.xml. The file is there to answer all the questions you would receive when executing the normal Windows installation setup.

I see no other option, do you?

Cheers!

If this post is helpful please click "Mark for answer", thanks! Kind regards

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:53 PM

All replies

• First of all, since I assume you have imported your reference image into MDT, please check the properties of the image to identify which languages are installed. This can be found when doubleclicking on the image and checking the Language(s).

Secondly check your CustomSettings.ini, if SkipLocaleSelection is set to YES you will not receive a wizard pane that allows you to specify languages etc.

If you want to specify one specific language for your deployment, add "UILanguage=nl-NL" or en-US or de-DE to your customsettings.ini.

Cheers!

Friday, October 3, 2014 9:15 AM
  • Hi Rens, 

Thank you for the quick response. 

I`ve been using DISM to mount and service my images, I can confirm the language packs I want to install from the USB are definitely installed on the reference image.

I`m not very familiar with the MDT tools, I`ve imported my custome WIM file to MDT but unable to see the SkipLocaleSelection.ini, is this within the MDT Deployment Share properties? If so, this is the options;

[Settings]
    Priority=Default
    Properties=MyCustomProperty

[Default]
    OSInstall=Y
    SkipCapture=NO
    SkipAdminPassword=YES
    SkipProductKey=YES
    SkipComputerBackup=NO
    SkipBitLocker=NO

Should I add the SkipLocaleSelection=NO to the default rule? If so, how do I apply this to my custom wim file?

Thank you,

Scott.

Friday, October 3, 2014 10:59 AM
  • Scott,

MDT works with the customsettings.ini to perform a deployment. The more properties and values you define here the less user intervention you will have when deploying with MDT.

Now for instance the SkipLocaleSelection needs to be put into your customsettings.ini under the [default] subsection. Then the wizard to select the keyboard language and timezone will appear.

If you have not specified this value already, assuming the configuration above is the entire content of your customsettings.ini, you may want to test:

SkipLocaleSelection=YES
    UILanguage=nl-NL

Check this blog and there are others around if you search for "Customsettings.ini example"

MDT 2012 Settings for fully automated LTI deployment, Part II: Customsettings.ini

Cheers!

• Proposed as answer by Jesper Hassing Friday, October 3, 2014 12:25 PM
    Friday, October 3, 2014 11:09 AM
  • Thank you Rene, 

I wasn`t planning to deploy these images through MDT, I manually add the install.wim to a bootable USB then it`s installed by this. Is there an option just to change the properties of the customsettings.ini without deploying via MDT? If not, is there a way to just change the SkipLocaleSelection and UILanguage?

Thank you,

Scott.

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:10 PM
  • If you don't want to use MDT, you should supply an unattended.xml file with your WDS or USB deployment. And specify the desired UIlanguage in the unattended.xml

Friday, October 3, 2014 12:24 PM
  • Thank you Rene for your assistance on this but I don`t believe this is right approach as this will restrict my images and there`s default variables that I don`think would be standard throughout my devices.

I know this is possibly as when I move my image to a French Or Dutch install media it gives me the options to install in that language but it also changes to language of the installation steps which I don`t want.

I`m assuming there`s a setting within an ini file which restricts the install language but I`m yet to find this.

Thank you

Scott.

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Scott, my name is Rens not Rene ;)

Now applying operating systems with DISM to your machine, can only be done by accompanying the OS with an answer file, like unattended.xml. Have you ever opened a unattended.xml? Since the properties and values we set with MDT in the CustomSettings.ini are partially intended for and merged with a generated unattended.xml file which is being generated when you create a new task sequence within MDT.

Now how would you accomplish the things you want to accomplish other then using either DISM with the unattended.xml, WDS with the unattended.xml or MDT with the unattended.xml. The file is there to answer all the questions you would receive when executing the normal Windows installation setup.

I see no other option, do you?

Cheers!

Friday, October 3, 2014 1:53 PM
  • Sorry Rens, thank you for your time on this.

Scott.

Friday, October 3, 2014 2:09 PM