VFS not writable in VFS writable package (only on a couple of servers) RRS feed

• Question

• We encoutered some problems in our Full Infrastructure Citrix environment lately.

Situation:
    Citrix VDI Agent 7.9
    Citrix PVS 7.9 (Cache in memory)
    Windows 2012R2-x64
    Appv Client 5.1 HF7
    Package deployment: user published

We have a couple of packages which need to write into the VFS; so the VFS Writable flag is set on those packages.
    The packages work perfectly on our test environment and on the production environment. However, on some servers the packages do not work fine: VFS is not writable on those servers.
    Strange thing is, those servers run on the same PVS Vdisk.

I created a test package, which only contains a placeholder file and the VFS Writable flag.
    When I open a CMD prompt in the virtual environment on a faulty server, go to the VFS location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Winvision_VFSWritableTest_1.0_NL_1.1.1) and create a file or folder, I receive an Access Denied error. When I do the same on a correct server, the file or folder is being created and the actual file/folder resides on the %LOCALLAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<GUID>\ProgramFilesX86\Winvision_VFSWritableTest_1.0_NL_1.1.1

When viewing the procmon on both servers, I see different things.
    On the correct server it checks if the file/folder exists in the the Programdata\App-V\<GUID>\ProgramFilesX86\VFS\ProgramFilesx86\Winvision_VFSWritableTest_1.0_NL_1.1.1 folder, gives a Name not Found message, and redirects to %LOCALLAPPDATA%\Microsoft\AppV\Client\VFS\<GUID>\ProgramFilesX86\Winvision_VFSWritableTest_1.0_NL_1.1.1, as it should.

Procmon_Correct_Server

On the faulty server(s) it checks if the file/folder exists in the Programdata\App-V\<GUID>\ProgramFilesX86\VFS\ProgramFilesx86\Winvision_VFSWritableTest_1.0_NL_1.1.1 folder, gives an Access Denied message, and stops (doesn't redirect to the LOCALAPPDATA folder).

Procmon_Faulty_ServerIt seems the Appv client isn't looking at the LOCALAPPDATA information at all.

This issue effects all users on the faulty machine. The machines are all using the same VDISK. Eventviewer doesn't show anything usefull so far.

I created a script, which starts on login which tries to write to VFS in this test package, and create logging of it fails; this to get a image on how many servers this issue exists. This issue exists on 6 of a couple of hundred machines. Strange thing; on one server, which had the issue, started working again.

Anyone had the same experience? Or some clue where to look at to fix this issue?

Thursday, April 6, 2017 2:57 PM

All replies

• Have not seen this issue yet, did the issue start after upgrading to HF7?

Roy Essers

Thursday, April 6, 2017 3:29 PM
  • We encountered the same behaviour when running 5.1 HF4, but at that time we didn't know where to look at, and the problem went away from that server after a week. 

Later we found at that rebooting the machine (so it was started clean from PVS vdisk) solved the issue.

Yesterday we put one faulty server in maintenance mode; only our console connection was active this morning, VFS problem was still there within the console session. But after logoff/logon VFS was writable again. No reboot was done. Pretty sure we can take the conclusion that when all users logoff from a faulty server, it starts working again.

Friday, April 7, 2017 10:22 AM
  • Is the following regkey set:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\MAV\Configuration\Packages\PackageId_VersionId\UserConfigEx\UserSID\CopyOnWriteMappings\1

Roy Essers

Tuesday, April 11, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Roy,

Entries are identical on both a working and on a non-working machine.

Issue still occurs. Reboot reschedule will be increased for the machines. But it's totally unclear why this happens.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 12:14 PM
  • Do you have any roaming profiles or anything like that?  Sorry not that familiar with Citrix.  I'm wondering if something is hooking before the VFS filter driver.

Can you post and compare the output of the command FLTMC on both the affected and unaffected machines?

Tuesday, January 9, 2018 5:54 PM