none
Resource Comments field RRS feed

• Question

• I have created a custum resource field "Resource Comment" that I have built into a report. I would like to provide a view that allows a user to populate this field. It appears in the Resource centre edit view, but I don't want to give access to all the other standard data fields, because someone will chaneg something.

Is there anyway I can create a simple Resource Name and Resource Comment field for Managers to update?

I did try creating a PDP using the Resource Centre Web App, but it provided the same view as Resource Centre and the fields cannot be edited.

Many Thanks.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 10:01 AM

Answers

• David --

Neither of your two options are possible.  Other than going the route of custom software development to address this issue, I think the solution I offer would be the simplest.  And then tell your managers NOT to edit anything other than the Resource Comments field when they are modifying resource information.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DaveHRae Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:57 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:37 PM

All replies

• Hi Dave,

Why not creating a new resource center view with a limited number of resource fields such as the name field, the resource comment field and eventually a few other fields. Then add this view only to the resource manager category.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, P-Seller |

Thursday, January 8, 2015 12:18 PM
  • DavelHRae --

In order for managers to be able to edit this field, you will need to give them permissions to edit the resources in the Enterprise Resource Pool.  The simplest way to do this would be to do the following:

1. Edit the Resource Managers group in PWA to include this permission by selecting the My Resources category in the Selected Categories list and then selecting the Edit Enterprise Resource Data checkbox in the Permissions for My Resources data grid.
    2. Add each of the responsible managers to the Resource Managers group in PWA.

After adding the responsible managers to the Resource Managers group in PWA, those managers can navigate to the Resource Center page in PWA, select the checkboxes for the resources they want to edit, and then click the Edit button in the Resources section of the Resources ribbon.  Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

Thursday, January 8, 2015 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for the response.

I did create a new view with a few fields, but I cannot edit the new Resource Comments field in that view. If I select a resource and click on Edit I am presented with the "Edit Resource" view which contains all the resource data fields.

I either need to be able to

a)edit in the original view (the one I created), or

b) be able to create an new "Resource Edit" page with restricted fields

Neither of which i know are possible, or how to do.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:26 PM
  • Hi Dale,

I understand what you are proposing, but what I wanted to do was have a view with restricted fields, Resource Name and Resource Comment. This would make it simpler for them to navigate and also avoid  changes to any other data.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:34 PM
  • Hi Dave,

I'm afraid you will need a custom development to do this specific requirement. Or handle it with a new process.

3rd party tools could allow you to do this (bulk edit in a excel like mode) only with the project center. Another way would be to edit the resources in Project Pro, but it will not be restricted to some fields.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:11 PM
  • OK, thought that might be the case. Thanks for your help.
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:28 PM
  • David --

Neither of your two options are possible.  Other than going the route of custom software development to address this issue, I think the solution I offer would be the simplest.  And then tell your managers NOT to edit anything other than the Resource Comments field when they are modifying resource information.  Hope this additional information helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]

• Marked as answer by DaveHRae Tuesday, June 2, 2015 9:57 AM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:37 PM
  • Hi Dave,

Since I think we covered up the question, if any of Dale's replies or mine were helpful to you by any means, please give credits by marking them as helpful or answer. Thanks!

Hope this helps,

Thursday, January 8, 2015 9:12 PM